Monday, August 1, 2011

Three Ways It’s not About Me; Disappointment or Relief?

It's August 1, and July is over. The summer begins to wind down from here, but August is a month without automatic breaks. There are no holidays in August, and the heat is usually the most intense during this month. I have a brother-in-law who said, "There's just no reason for August in Texas." But I think that's true in most states. So it has been a month that we have been here in Northern Nevada, and we are still waiting on my Master. And everyone's ok with this?

Well, I really needed the entry for today. It's made up of three very short entries, and only one specific passage (Matthew 11:1) which is really a segue from one narrative to another. What Chambers brings out about Jesus is that often His commands are connected to where and what He teaches. That may seem like an obvious point, but my behavior implies otherwise. I'll take the point, my confession, and my personal need for application one at a time.

He Comes Where He Commands Us To Leave: In other words, until we leave a place, He is not entirely free to go there and teach. Chambers point is that I am in the way until I obey my Master, and allow my Master to teach. This is true even in a figurative sense. I have a character quality that I do not like to give up, to give the impression that something has beaten me. To this end, I have limited myself to those things I was pretty sure I could accomplish. But in another sense, I don't like to let things go when they're not doing well. I didn't want to leave the place I ministered in Texas back in the mid-90's when school ended, but I needed to leave. I didn't want to leave Idaho, but it became clear that I needed to. I was in the way, and the people were so focused on me and my mistakes or personality (not positively) that they were distracted from my Master. I had to leave so He could have His way with them. I wanted to be Moses and intercede with my Master to let me stay, but He didn't tell me He wanted to destroy them, so it was not exactly the same thing (although He did remove the church, and I did want Him to in my bitterness and resentment – fuelling my addiction to new heights for several years – I was in desperate need of a 4th Step). I left, and school, for them, truly began.

He teaches where He tells us not to: Am I too noisy for others to hear my Master? This is a very closely related point, except for the "leaving" aspect. This is where my Master tells me to stop teaching (speaking), but hang around to see what He does. For my Master's work in my life, it shows that my Master does not need me to get His message across. I sometimes can become a hindrance, well-meaning perhaps (though usually self-centered and/or prideful), but a hindrance all the same. When I step back, I get a chance to see my Master work and I am allowed to fade into the scenery. This is hard for me to see for the same reason mentioned before, I hate to quit; both for the appearance and for the personal failure it implies. And yet, I need that appearance, and I need to accept that failure. I need to be the servant of the king, not the king. Sure I may be an ambassador for Jesus, my Master and King; but when the King comes, I no longer need to speak on His behalf, He's here. This is where I learn to shut up, and listen to my Master's teaching along with everyone else.

He works where He tells us to wait: And this brings us to my present situation. It's not passive waiting, as I have mentioned, I am to wait, worship, and walk before Him. I am to walk before the One loving me, having my back, and the One I serve. I know what I am supposed to be doing while I'm waiting. I'm supposed to live in a manner worthy of the calling of my Master. What else? It' so obvious, and yet I want the drama, the central role, even if it is a supporting role. I want to be "out there" doing what I do best. Silly man, or more accurately, foolish man, why is it not enough to live before my Master where He has placed me. The preacher yesterday spoke of relationally ministering right where I live. Is that not enough for me? Do I also need to appear the "religious man" or whatever? I am called to be a priest, as he said, but not a "shaman". It's not about me; it's about the love of my Master for them. They understand that through witnessing His love for me. So that is what I need to show them, not that I am smart (that's just not that interesting).

So, my application for today is to live my moments in a manner worthy of my Master's calling on my life. I am to be the Knight of the Realm, Servant of the King just as He has designated me. I won't do it perfectly but in practice my practice will become more successful. I need to bear in mind that I have not earned this calling, but rather was called to something beyond me. Movies are made on such themes, but they bring them to fruition in ninety minutes. My path will be a lot longer. As I answer the phone, or make a call, or write an email, or make an account note, or speak with my co-workers or boss; I will answer, call, write, or speak as the knight and servant I have been called to be. And my Master will shine forth as I fade into the scenery, no sunset shot for me, bows and adulation and roses for Him; all will be as it should be.

Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, August 1

No comments:

Post a Comment