Friday, August 26, 2011

Courage as a Byproduct of Peace

I am not facing a lot of stress right now, so today's entry doesn't fill some need I've been working through. But on the other hand, while Chambers speaks of serious worries or troubles in opposition to the peace of my Master, that's not the only time I need that peace. I know I need it daily. My abilities are exhausted on minor issues, not just large ones. I am caught in people pleasing without there being any particular crisis. I flounder amidst projects that I know I'm not doing well, but need to complete anyway. My ability to make my "world" the way I want it isn't there.

So I need my Master's peace daily. I receive this peace just like Chambers says; I have to look at the undisturbed face of my Master. I gain perspective in that look that aligns all other little crises with His abilities, not mine. Looking into the face of my Master is truly the best use of my time. Turning my mind toward His thoughts, listening for His Spirit's whisper (or 2X4, or whatever He wants to use) are actions I take that result in the most and best quality results. I don't need my own peace, even though in my foolishness I may want it. I need the fruit of my Master's Spirit: Peace.

As a fruit of Him, it blooms in me, but flows through me as I am in the Vine, Jesus. As long as I remain in Him, as long as I seek His words in Scripture, as long as seek His face in prayer and worship I experience peace that is not my own. My peace is counterfeit, based on ignorance and/or pride, and never lasts long in the face of the reality of this world. It isn't until I look beyond the reality around me to the Real Power beyond that peace comes. This peace is that assurance and confidence that my Master has all under control. It is not confidence that everything will be well.

The desire that all go well with me is a danger to my relationship with my Master. The litmus test of my devotion to Him can never rest on what He has done for me lately. He has already put up more earnest for my life than I can ever imagine to request. All is well with me because I have a future, I don't die, and I can never be separated from my Master. I can suffer in this world, I can endure tough times, relationships, and events. But none of these can compare with Heaven. I refuse the "sour grapes" attitude and perspective of this culture I live in. Heaven is given, not taken.

So, I look forward to the day I will stand before my Master in final form. I look forward to the day I have my eternal position, whatever that might be. I look forward to the eternal worship and fellowship; the wedding feast. I look forward to all I see described in the Scriptures, and relish that it will be even more than that. I know that I have a lot to do here for my Master, so I know I have to wait until I'm done to leave. What I want is to face this world with courage; courage based on the peace of seeing my Master's face. My heart cannot be shaken, and I will not fear as long as I can see His face.

Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, August 26

No comments:

Post a Comment