Tuesday, August 9, 2011

My Rebellion Trumped By His Grace

One of the interesting details in the account of the resurrection of Lazarus in John 11 is how Jesus is clear that this event is really about Him, not Lazarus, not his sisters, and not even the disciples (vs. 14, 15, 41, 42). The events unfold to bring belief, not relief. And Chambers points out that Jesus begins His prayer with thanks to the Father that He hears Jesus. Again, a phrase for the audience to ensure they know what this event is really about. Jesus reveals more of His divine nature here, His total power over death.

Chambers goes on to say that when the Son is born in me, I will then have reached "that day" Jesus speaks of later in John when I will ask in His name and the Father will give it. I have to agree that the unity of my Trinitarian Master is something that I am supposed to participate in (or with), but I don't really understand how. I know it also involves other believers, but again, I don't know how. I think it would be too trite to say that it happens in modern worship. I must have missed that particular event, a lot. Perhaps it happens in service as a church to a hurting community. Maybe it is part of what happens when all the roles of a church function together. That would be more difficult to see or sense (at least for me, I don't participate in all of them).

When the Spirit of my Master resides in me and I am a Temple of the Holy Spirit, Chambers says I become "the Bethlehem of the Son of God." I'm not so sure I can really follow that analogy, because Chambers seems to posit that event later on in the believers' life. I believe that it happened when I accepted my Master's mastery over me, as opposed to later. Now I know I had no idea what that meant for many years later, but I don't believe my Master was waiting around to provide me the gift of His Spirit until I really understood. Instead I believe that it was because His Spirit took up residence that I finally understood His mastery; it was revealed by His Spirit in me (I'm not that smart, so it had to be Him).

But I still sense the tremendous degree that I need to submit to my Master. Even last night I let thoughts from my addiction dance about in my head. Ironically it was a lot of work to let them. I had trouble staying focused. And I finally shook myself, and confessed to my Master what I was doing, not only the thoughts, but what those thoughts meant for my submission to Him. I was in wanton rebellion. I can't rest on the fact that such evil thinking is harder now, nor that all I did was in my mind. That does not mean that what I did was acceptable. I have a battle to fight as a knight of my Master's realm. The battle is against those mental and spiritual strongholds that set themselves up against the truth of my Master's mastery in my life.

So, even as I write about submission, I pursue rebellion. It doesn't need to last long before I recognize what I did for what it is; that I did it at all indicates the presence of my evil nature close by me. As my Master told Cain, "sin is crouching at the door, its desire is for you, but you must master it." Is it any different for me? How close is my sin, my rebellion, my willful self-centered, self-indulgent mind? My disobedient "id" seeks to escape the clutches of my "super ego" and run freely. Unfortunately, my super ego likes to keep peeking at the id and let it smell freedom, and play at keeping it under wraps. Oh stupid "Freudian" man that I am, who will save me from the body of sin and death?

Well, I know Who, and I am thankful. Whatever I struggle with, my Master stays with me. And I live in grace not fear. I should live in fear, terrified of disobeying the Master of all matter. Instead I receive grace, acceptance, and love; consequences, but love throughout. I need that. I need the confession to my Master, "You love me, You have my back, and I am at Your service." I need to follow my Master's direction to wait, worship, and walk before Him. Even as I dive headlong into the valley of shadow, He is with me with His rod and staff to protect me and guide me. Why He doesn't stand on the rim of the valley and shake His head, cluck His tongue, walk away I don't really understand. But He fearlessly accompanies me through the valley; even when it's not His valley. Weird.

So, this day I will seek, once again, to offer my moments to my Master's service. I will see how successful I am in submission. All I need to do is submit. It sounds easy, except that it means dying. Oh well, nobody lives forever…in this body anyway.

Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, August 9

No comments:

Post a Comment