Monday, August 22, 2011

Agreeing Is Not Necessarily All That Is Necessary

Yes. The odd thing about being able to say that I am no more and my Master is come is that it requires a relinquishment of my basic fear or need. Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs has security as the basic need foundational to all the others. That is what I give up. Relinquishment of that basic need is the gateway to my connection with my Master, the infusion of and emersion in His Spirit, and peace. The irony that peace comes at the relinquishment of my need for security is just one of many defining ironies of my relationship with my Master.

Giving up my security to my Master means that what I could not possibly provide for myself is over supplied for by my Master. The need for security may very well be basic, but I could never control enough of the world around me to ensure it. By giving up that need to my Master, I live forever; my life is more secure than I could ever hope to make it. That is the most peaceful fact I can know. I just wish knowing were all that I needed. I also need to believe, and live out that belief in faith.

It is the point of faith where I have yet another need to surrender to my Master, for faith really is a gift from Him. So, faith is what makes it possible to trust enough to surrender my need for security, and therefore faith is the basis for my peace. I truly am impoverished before my Master. I can't provide for my own security, I can't provide for the faith necessary to surrender my security, and I can't bring peace to my life. For all of that, the peace and the faith, I am totally dependent upon my Master.

Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, August 22

No comments:

Post a Comment