Saturday, August 13, 2011

Where the Spirit of my Master is...

Wrapping up Paul's first letter to the church at Thessalonica, he gives a list of 'admonitions', one of which is, 'Don't quench the Spirit.' How do I keep from doing what I have often assumed was impossible? For the One 'hovering over the waters' of creation, quenching just seems so...impossible.

And yet there is no mistaking this admonition, nor that this One can be grieved. Given as a deposit againt the final redemption in heaven, He can be both grieved and quenched by me.

It seems so incongruent to picture the Spirit of the Master Crafstman of the universe as a sad spectator of my life with no influence. In fact I can't imagine it. It makes no sense to me at all. It's like rain falling up into the sky. It is contrary to its nature, as is a mere Spectating Spirit.

I have wandered under the assumption that my life had little effect on the joy and peace of God. To a degree I'm right. But part of the mysterious grace in what my Master has done comes in the willful intentional choice to tie Himself to me emotionally, to become emotionally involved with me. He's God, how can this be?

And yet it is. I can cause my Master emotional pain. Me, among the billions alive now and billions more no longer alive, He is emotionally involved with me.

He was emotionally involved with Israel; and I assume He still is. The Hebrew Scriptures are very clear on that point. Jesus was emotionally involved with His disciples. The Gospels are very clear on that point. But this is both more general and more specific. It is specificly personal to me, and generally true for every other believer as well. It is too huge for me to wrap my mind around. It is too much grace for me to grasp. Why would He do that for me.

I realize from this perspective that I have lived as if I didn't matter that much to my Master, that my life has little effect on Him and His work. I see that He chooses to relate to me otherwise. He makes me important and matter to Him and His work. My assumption has been a massive error.

Sure I always knew He knew, but I am stumbling upon the realization that He also cares. That puts a level of responsibility on me I would much rather avoid. But I cannot escape it. He loves me, and I am learning that this fact means more than I originally thought. He really loves me, choosing the irrational position of becoming emotionally involved with a foolish servant.

So today I will strive to be more aware of the effect I have on my Master, and seek to neither quench His voice, nor grieve His heart. A big task that I am not equal to. I will need to love Him back more than I do now, that is for sure. Well, here I go. Wish me luck.

Oswald Chambers' "My Utmost For His Highest": August 13th.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

No comments:

Post a Comment