Sunday, August 21, 2011

Do I Understand “Choice” or “Awareness” in Salvation?

Today I have to disagree with Chambers at a point in his entry. But on the whole, I completely agree. In fact, I believe he has struck on one of those particulars of theology that are so easily missed. Typical Christian theology tends toward either free-will or predestination to some extreme degree. But as Chambers points out, calling on human creatures to "choose Jesus" gives them a decision they often don't really understand. The "choice" is to submit to His lordship, not to decide I like Him better than the devil, or I like the idea of heaven better than hell, or that I like the Bible over some other religious writing.

Any decision I make that does not submit me to my Master is the wrong decision. Often the sense is that submission will come eventually after a decision is made for Jesus. But consider the words of Paul as he describes this decision, "…that if you confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart God raised Him from the dead, and you will be saved (Romans 10:9)." It begins with submission, so why would that come later? When I was a kid, at seven I submitted myself to Jesus, saying those words. I didn't understand it, but I was led to say it anyway. I understood it better later, but I was led to do it up front.

Regardless of whether the Calvinist camp of predestined election and irresistible grace or the Arminian camp of personal decision and responsibility before God, both must submit to the Sovereignty of God. I tend to upset both because I simply find both types of language in the Scriptures. So, I go with both, and don't try to explain it. I trust it makes sense from my Master's perspective. I do the same thing with the question of losing salvation. I see both types of language, so I go with both, focusing on what I call the "theology of 'the last man standing'": Only those who endure to the end will be saved.

So, yes, I agree that spiritual poverty is essential for salvation and a continuing life with my Master. I don't gain riches and value in and of myself over time with Him. I must always submit to Him in my eternal spiritual poverty. My life with my Master is characterized by the necessity to submit to Him. But on Chamber's point that awareness of effects means that my focus has been lost I disagree. I refer again to my ministry buddy, Paul. Paul seemed very aware and even took personal ownership of the work he did on his journeys.

This awareness and ownership did not take away from Paul's submission to his Master, but was part of his identification with his Master. Scriptures speak of knowing by testing fruits. What is meant there is being aware of the effects of ministry. How is it that I can do that and now be aware of what my Master is doing through me? Should I not examine my own fruit? Am I limited to the examination by others? Paul says he examines neither his own nor others, but really? He clearly examines others prompting him to write much of the Christian Scriptures to correct it. I am grateful he did.

But perhaps Chambers is referring exclusively to work done through me. Even here though, I disagree. There is a degree in which I don't understand my growth in my relationship to my Master, but I will notice it. There is an extent in which I am surprised by the work my Master does through me, but at some point I am bound to notice it. I may not take credit for it, and I shouldn't, but I will notice it. Even taking ownership follows the example of Paul. He was concerned for the spiritual welfare of others, but others where he had worked on behalf of his Master.

So, my availability and usefulness to my Master comes through submission to Him. I will wonder what He will do with me and accept that He will do something with me; perhaps already doing something. I will accept that I am accepted by Him, and not wonder if I've been "shelved". I will seek to be submitted to my Master in everything He leads me into. Today, I will worship. Tomorrow I will take care of my wife and family, and I will work. In all these things I will seek to be of service to my Master, at His beck and call. And will know if I don't, or if I do.

Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, August 21

No comments:

Post a Comment