Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Little I Know Reflected in the Little I Pray

Prayer is often one of the least understood activities of believers. I don't do it enough. When I consider that in prayer I commune with the Maker and Sustainer of the vast universe, the "Attraction" of subatomic particles, the One forming suns, galaxies, and destroying them; prayer takes on different meaning. I step out of this mundane world, tasks, job, relationships, and fears; and step into a vista without boundaries to speak to One without limits. Worship can be like this, but not without prayer regularly in my life.

I don't pray enough. When I have trouble focusing at work, when my passive aggressive tendency raises up, when I have too much to do, too little time, and I sense that frustration I know so well; the answer is prayer, not to "think" something different. It's not in me to "fix" any of these things. Only my Master has solutions to problems I don't understand, situations I only see portions of, and attitudes I deny about myself. He takes away the need to solve the problem, the confusion of the situation melts away into the assurance He does understand, and He holds up that mirror of His Spirit so I can see what I am doing that is causing my problem. I desperately need Him, not the other way around.

I don't go to pray with the assumption I'm filling Him in on circumstances, or enlightening Him about my problems, or even that I might somehow provide Him a necessary service. Prayer is an invitation from my Master to me to be brought into the work He is already doing. Prayer strips away the protective façade I "hermit crab" within. Prayer is what makes me more available to Him. The less prayer I participate in, the less available I am to Him. I need it more. I need to pray, intentionally, consciously, perhaps audibly, and definitely regularly. I need to pray during my time of work, my times of alone, my times of frustration, and my times of peace and joy.

Praying without ceasing is a concept I suspect is only available to those who also pray deliberately and regularly through a day. Then the in between times are prayer as well because of the residual presence of my Master. I'm not there yet. I want to be. I want to know that when I pray, the Father hears because He loves me and knows I love Jesus. It, somehow, bypasses the need for intercession from Jesus (John 16:26-27). I suppose because the agency of His Trinitarian nature blurs any distinction, and I know I have one Master. These are things I may understand later, but now I am content to know that intimacy with my Master will only grow as I spend time with Him in prayer.

I have a lot to learn and a most incomprehensible Teacher from Whom to learn. This morning I will cut this short and spend some time doing what I will eventually be doing for eternity; praying.

Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, August 6

No comments:

Post a Comment