Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Joy In The Presence of my Master

The site I use for the MUFHH has had their rights to publish the text terminated as of September 2, 2011. The publisher who owns the copyright has a page for MUFHH but it is an updated language, and I feel lacks the challenge of the original text. So my links below will have to come from somewhere else, perhaps the updated version. I have a print copy of the original text, but those references would do little good for someone who doesn't have it. So, I suppose the question I face is will I allow this setback to distract me from the joy I receive focusing on my Master?

I spend time (not as much time as I would like) looking at the wonders of this universe through a telescope. When people ask me why, I don't tell them because I am some sort of scientist, or that I am some sort of amateur astronomer. I am an amateur astronomer because I look through a telescope, not the other way around. I look through the telescope seeking perspective. I see things thousands to millions of light years away. That means that the image I see is ancient, and that means that my Master has been very busy since long before I was born. I suppose He can handle my Wednesday.

The result of seeking my Master through Scripture, through worship, through a telescope, and through prayer results in joy. Anything I do that increases my attachment to my Master results in joy. Even if the activity hurts, causes inconvenience, or seems foolish, it still results in joy. As Chambers puts it (in the original version) it is captious irritation of thinking out circumstances that initially distracts. I can get so distracted by the minutia of problems that I stop looking at my Master. "I can fix this, just give me a minute." No I can't, and it's not my job anyway.

I sacrifice joy for the remote possibility of feeling self-sufficient because I solved a problem. There are times when I am led to help a customer get through problems. In fact I was given that as a task just yesterday. I love doing that. But I will also jump into those problem-solving issues when they are not mine to fix. That is one place where I lose track of my Master's face and my joy fades.

My goal today is to stay in the communion with my Master and not lose His joy. I want to remain focused on Him, and speak His words as I interact with others in my day. And I hope to find a new site for the original version of MUFHH. Maybe I will not be able to continue using that as my beginning of my meanderings. That would be a shame, but there are other places to begin, such as Scripture. I guess I have some looking around to do. I'm open to suggestions, as long as it's not offensive to not use them. It may be that my Master will use a suggestion from someone, and it may be He will direct me somewhere else.

Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, August 31

No comments:

Post a Comment