Thursday, August 25, 2011

Battle-Ready, Funny-Looking, and With a Big Job

I don't totally agree with Chambers, once again. Friendship with my Master, as described in John 15:15 was a declarative fact on the part of Jesus, not something earned or even understood by complete submission to Jesus. From the context, the next thing the disciples do is run away in fear and confusion, Peter will deny his Master three times, and John will follow at some distance. Yet at this point Jesus declares them friends, no longer servants. Not because they are devoted, but because He has revealed to them all that the Father has given to Him. They are friends by declaration, not by their own exertion.

This is a difficult point to live out though. I have experienced that all the elements of my relationship with my Master are dependent upon Him. So, my "friendship" declared by my Master is experienced by me to the degree that I submit to my Master. So in that sense, I agree with Chambers. In fact, that supports his point, but not the way he does it. He still has the work of my Master tied to my actions. Rather, my Master declares me to be His friend (or in my case, His knight and servant), and then works in and with me to form me into that person. But His work goes only as far as I submit.

Chambers seems to have said I earn my position as "Friend of God", but I know from other entries he did not believe that. It may be an editorial issue as his work was compressed down into a devotional entry. But I know a pastor who, after stating salvation comes by grace alone, then states salvation can be lost (not the surprising or problem point), and then says to keep it we have to do stuff (prayer and Bible reading). I know that he also believes we keep our salvation by being devoted and submitted to our Master. While he made it sound as if, once saved by grace, we maintain it by works; as if it no longer depends on our Master, I am pretty sure that it was just a juxtaposition of elements in his sermon that made it sound that way. It happens, a lot to me actually.

So here, while this entry may sound like a "works friendship" with my Master, I doubt a fair reading of other entries will support that view. The context of John doesn't. Instead, I see affirmation that my declarative position before my Master is also something He is growing me into. I see that, while I may not seem this way yet, I will one day appear this way as I walk before Him. I am a Knight of the Realm; I am a Servant of the King. But I am not those things by my own exertion; rather I am those things by the declaration of my King. It's kind of surreal really.

So my Master declares my position before Him. He then works on me to make me fit that designation. Here again the overwhelming grace of my Master wipes out any argument I raise against my position. I don't really make a good knight of any realm, and I am a rather contentious servant. My weapons are sarcasm and cynicism, not the Scriptures and faith. I engage mortals in battles of wit and dialogue, not the spiritual powers of darkness on bended knee in prayer. I am the wrong guy for this job. Of course, my Master knows this, and has from my formation in my mother's womb. He calls me to it anyway.

The helmet falls over my eyes, the sword is too heavy, the shield is unwieldy, and the breastplate is twice as big as it needs to be to protect my chest. Forget the shoes and belt; I typically step right out of them and into hot coals with my pants sagging horribly. How intimidating am I? And yet, the powers of darkness see not the ridiculous figure before them, but the Master behind. They don't fear the sword in my hand, but the One who formed it. The shield I carry does not stop them, but the One having given the shield stops them cold. It's not me, but the One whose shoes I will never fill. I may look funny, but serve a serious Master.

Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, August 25

No comments:

Post a Comment