Thursday, August 18, 2011

Working On Empty

I thought I was following Chambers' entry, then he gets to the last paragraph. After reading it three times and then again out loud, I got it. I can be self-loving at two polar opposite spectrums; positively about myself and my character, and negatively about myself and my character. What Chambers says in the last paragraph is that both are self-love. And self-love is where Jesus' harsh word about coming to Him points.

The Rich Young Ruler, Richard to his friends, is deeply grieved to be told to give up all he possesses because he is extremely rich. There could have been a very real awareness that his wealth was also created blessings for others in his household, his business associates, and the community at large. To give all that away would be to hurt or discomfort a lot of people. He may have been aware of that too. If he did, then he couldn't see that in that position, he took on a role reserved for God; provision. I can be really comfortable and proud of my "service" to my Master; even service I perform with His provision for me. That's a great way to lose it.

It could have been the obvious problem that he was in love with being so comfortably rich. That could have kept him from following Jesus. I have "comfort zones" in financial areas as well as emotional and relational areas. These are places where I may hear such a hard request of my Master. There are other areas I am blessed in that I may need to give up in order to be available to my Master as He wants. One I mentioned before is the sense that I am a minister with lots of skills and experience to offer. Well, tough. I could be here to financially support the service and ministry of others (like my wife), and remain in the background of church and community life. What if it weren't about me and my skills after all?

The point to Chambers entry is for me to poor in spirit although he calls it "destitute in the sense that I am destitute." I am clearly on my way there. And awareness of my sinful nature constantly with me, awareness that all my "skills" don't amount to much in my righteousness or acceptability before my Master, awareness that my standing before my Master is only because He wants and places me there; these help reinforce my sense of poverty. I live in the house and wear the clothes of someone else. They are "company" assets, not my own. They are the things of my Master, not me. And, grace upon grace, that will never change for eternity.

My goal in this is to embrace this paradigm shift from ownership to stewardship. Where I need to get to is the complete emptiness before my Master. I see that it is only when I come to Him open handed with empty hands that I am truly available to Him to fill those hands with the tools He wants me to use for the work He has for me. This sounds worse than cleaning out the garage. Well, I guess I had better get at it. Where are my work gloves…and ibuprophen?

Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, August 18

No comments:

Post a Comment