Monday, November 28, 2011

Grace and the Value of People


Once I explore the cross of Jesus, then travel through Saturday to the Resurrection, and then consider the possibility of living in both this physical world and the spiritual one; only then does the shape of grace begin to emerge.  It begins to clarify with the cross, and through the resurrection it gains definition, but then I see what I have been doing to myself spiritually and I see what my Master thought was such a price.  It is appalling to see what my Master purchased at such a cost. 

The value of sin-ridden, selfish rebels (aka humans) is found in the price paid by their Creator.  They have value just in that they were created by such a One as the Creator of the universe; that’s pretty remarkable and imparts value.  But their condition from that point on is a downward spiral.  Like fish or cut fruit, we go bad very fast when left to ourselves.  So the short shelf-life might be expected to reduce the value unless there was some gain or other payoff.  The pride of people in general, that they can somehow achieve the good standing they need, or all the good standing necessary, removes any such gain or payoff.

The value of human creatures is not found in the short supply, the supply grows at a staggering rate, and the value of life seems to plummet along with it.  The value of human creatures is only found in the going price paid by their Creator.  The realization that my value is found in my Master and nowhere else is not comfortable.  I want to have some power over my value, and I have no positive effect at all.  I want to somehow control my eternal fate, and all I can do is choose to submit to my Master.  I want to be able to gain the attention of others for my standing before my Master but I am outshined.

It is my continual self-centered nature that desires these things, and it is the grace of my Master, the freely given declaration of righteousness, that imparts value to my life.  My life is full of rebellion against my Master, limited self-centered assessment of my surroundings, and grandiose claims of importance.  But my boast should be in Christ alone, and Him crucified.  What I have to boast about, point to, and accept in my heart is that all my value comes from my Master; His extreme bid for a relationship with Him.

But I also need to recognize my value among my fellow human creatures.  It wasn’t for one that my Master paid such a price, but for the whole cosmos.  It was not just for me, but for my neighbors too.  The value I find in what my Master has done for me is the value of those around me as well.  There is no room for feeling superior or as if I am distinct in any other way than that I benefit from this value, and many of them do not.  Clearly there is no room for me to assess myself any higher than those around me. 

It is an underlying philosophy or philosophical position that when everyone is special, no one is; that specialness implies uniqueness.  That’s true in our cultural use of the word, but from the perspective of my Master, humanity is special in relation to all of creation.  His wider perspective does impart uniqueness to people, but not among themselves, among the rest of creation.  So, again, my value is along with, not over and above the value of others around me.  I’m not special among people (although I am fairly unique), I am special because I am a person; as is everyone else.  And yet there are the “elect” in Scripture; another evidence of grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment