Thursday, November 3, 2011

Stuck On The Cross

When I work with Galatians 2:20, I immediately am struck by a couple of things. First is the difference between where English versions put the verse number and where the Greek text does. The Greek text has it where it makes little sense, so I'm guessing that is the more original position (why move it there if it makes better sense somewhere else?). I don't find that often, but when I do, it tells me something about the people using the text before me.

The second thing that strikes me is the ending. "And the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me." Literally, the ending should read, "but what I now live in flesh, in faith I live of the Son of God the One having loved me and having given Himself up for me." I'm not living in faith, I'm living out the faith of the Son of God; the faith I live out belongs to Him, not me. I'm living on borrowed faith. But before I get all worked up on that, I can't help but notice that no English version translates it of, they are all in, in every case. I'm no Bible translator, so I have to simply wonder why they do that rather than make a big theological deal about the construction. But I will say that it dove-tails nicely with Ephesians 2:8-10 which can be understood to mean the faith is the gift of God. I'm just saying...

Whether it is in or of Chambers focuses on the "having given Himself up for me" part and says I am to use that as a pattern. I am to voluntarily give myself up to my Master and be crucified with Him. The part of me that is in rebellion against my Master and enslaved to my flesh needs to die in crucifixion. Okay. Although I have to confess that my Master seems to be feeding me to a sacrificial pyre one piece at a time. I just can't seem to get the whole carcass to the cross at the same time. So, He has been slicing off pieces and throwing them to pile of burning sacrifices to Himself. I'm not sure why such a pile of junk is pleasing to Him, but I suspect it is that the pile is made up of junk He has been trying to get rid of for a long time. Like a huge bonfire after a failed garage sale, at least it's all gone. The point with me is that He seems to be getting rid my rebellious connections to my flesh only as He reveals yet another to me. It has been a process, not a "jumping off" event, all or nothing.

The point for Chambers is the identification with the death of Jesus. I am to take on the identification with that death. The reason for my behavior and priorities in this world I live in is that I have been crucified with Christ, at least that is what is supposed to happen. I would like to say that I have been crucified with Christ and that I no longer live, but I would say that I'm not quite there yet. I think my Master has more "shaving" of my sinful nature left to do. Before He was nailed to the cross, Jesus was scourged. In a way I am being scourged with Christ. The cross is coming, I know that. I hope it happens before I'm sixty and limited in what I can do for my Master. That would be a lot of wasted life if I had to wait until then.

I have been crucified together with Christ and I no longer live but Christ lives in me; but what I now live in flesh, in faith I live of the Son of God the One having loved me and having given Himself up for me. I don't think it will take me 14 stations.

Oswald Chambers - Readings - My Utmost for His Highest - October 3

No comments:

Post a Comment