Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Auto-Spiritual Situational Engagement


John 21 has always seemed a strange account of the post-resurrection time of Jesus.  It clearly gives the impression that Jesus was not constantly with the disciples, but that seems so strange.  Where else would He be?  Yet here they are in Galilee and decide to go fishing.  After a fruitless night Jesus waits for them on the beach, and then helps them with the haul of their lives.  Peter jumps into the water and swims to meet Jesus.  Then there is the awkward breakfast, and then Jesus indicates the manner in which Peter would be killed.  As they walk away, John follows, and Peter asks about him.  Jesus tells Peter to concern himself with his own devotion.

That is where the verses Chambers uses, John 21:21-22 fall in the chapter.  Peter sees the other disciple following, and asks about him.  Jesus says, “If I might want him to remain until I come, what to you?  You follow Me.”  In my devotion to Jesus I’m not supposed to intervene between my Master and His work in others.  There is a difference between intervening and participating.  I’m not confident I understand the difference, but I do know it has something to do with my focus and devotion to my Master.

Chambers then goes on to say that my devotion should be unconscious.  That’s the part I know but fight against.  As I am more devoted to my Master, the rest comes naturally.  My natural tendencies are changed to conform more to His nature, so I will tend to act and respond according to His nature, not my old nature.  I focus on being devoted to my Master, and He will use me in the lives of others.  I don’t know if I trust myself enough for this yet.  On the other hand, I’m not sure that my lack of trust is not an excuse to retain some of my autonomy.  I’m pretty good at excuses, so this could all be an excuse to hide behind false piety; two layer protection.

I know it’s true.  I know that my relationships and other involvement in this world become automatic once my devotion to my Master is settled.  The way I have described it in the past is that I will finally walk in two spheres at once, awareness of the spiritual and the physical simultaneously.  I will be able to see the spiritual side of situations rather than just the annoying physical side.  That would have helped me yesterday when my daughter had an emotional meltdown.  I would have liked to have been able to see the spiritual forces behind that.  It was all I could do to keep myself from exploding.  I did verbally, actually, and I don’t usually…I think.

This is the place where I see growth in the next few months.  I hope to become less stuck on my own circumstances, more focused on my Master, and make it a natural thing to become confused with Him, rather than go to Him once I’m so frustrated I can’t see straight.  When things don’t confuse me, and I’m already focused on my Master, then I can just move and live naturally.  When a crisis presents itself, then I can seek to engage it, participating with my Master’s Spirit, rather than with my own resources and understanding.  Well, I expect another crisis today.  I had three yesterday.  Practice, practice, practice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment