Sunday, November 6, 2011

Being Taught By the Rabbi


I’ve got a lot of random, unrelated stuff swirling around in my head this morning, so be patient.  This entry from Chambers is one I can relate to.  The passage he uses is the discussion between Jesus and Martha as Jesus is about to raise her brother.  The contrast between this conversation and the one with Mary is interesting.  Jesus has a deep theological discussion with Martha and weeps with Mary.  In fact Jesus goes as deep with Martha as He did with Nicodemus, or even perhaps deeper.  And unlike the Pharisee, she gets it.  Her SAT scores would probably have been off the charts.

Chambers asks if I’ve been through something like that with Jesus, and as it turns out, I have.  My recent experience with my Master has been somewhat like this except, not being as intelligent as Martha, it took me much longer.  I have chronicled most of it in this blog, but the essence of the lesson was a progression from an acceptance (not understanding) that Jesus loves me, He has my back, and I am at His service.  The way it finally took hold though was when I accepted myself as having a problem I could not manage without help, my depression.

It was one thing to accept the love without understanding.  I had sought understanding for too long, it was time to accept.  But even acceptance didn’t activate the power of this truth in my life.  I’m loved, as I am, not as I try my best, or at the point I finally achieve some level of spiritual maturity or breakthrough.  I’m loved to the extent of the life of Jesus, and I stand among a surging sea of such people, also loved by this same Jesus.  That was step one, acceptance of His love.  The second step addressed my fears.

I have spent much of my life afraid.  Sometimes I have been afraid for my physical well-being (like on the playground with bullies), but also of the acceptance of others.  I have lived a large portion of my life seeking and fearing the loss of the acceptance of others.  When I was in school, K-12, it was fear of bullies, and I would avoid fights (sometimes).  After school was done and I spent time in the Army, I no longer feared for my physical safety, but acceptance was still a strong problem.  I wanted to be liked and accepted.  It was driven by a similar fear I had for my physical safety and totally centered on me.

By accepting that my Master has my back, I have freedom from fear.  Actually, I have freedom from fear to the degree that I accept that my Master has my back.  I use this “fear” as a monitor of my spiritual condition, and quickly dive back into my Master whenever I find myself dreaming of being physically powerful or safe.  When I sense that, I know that I have left the true safety of my Master.  I have left the focus on heaven and eternity and focused on this world and myself.  But it was the final part that I am now in the midst of working out.

So what good is it to be free from fear, and loved beyond understanding?  These things bring a peace and freedom that is not for relaxation and lounging around.  These truths free me to be available to my Master for His work.  I refer to myself as a Knight of the Realm, but also as Servant to the King.  I don’t feel like that very often, but service is at least half, probably the whole, of my purpose.  Whatever it means to be a knight of Jesus in this world, even that role is service of some sort.  This third realization brings purpose to the other two, it actualizes them, makes them more substantial.

It may sound strange, but when I refer to myself with the letters, KOTR SOTK, I’m not bragging as much as using terms that describe something very common, just in a different way.  It’s not that I am these things and no one else is.  A lot of believers see themselves as servants of Jesus.  A lot of believers understand themselves to be warriors against the powers of darkness in the heavenly realms (warfare conducted mostly in prayer by the way).  So, I’m not unique, perhaps dramatic, but I am also sensitive to the catharsis of drama.  This is something my Master knows, probably caused in me, and uses to His purpose as well.

So, my lengthy process took over two years instead of a quick conversation in the middle of the road to Bethany.  I’m clearly not as perceptive nor as capable of embracing the truth of Jesus as was Martha.  And Jesus is okay with that.  He calls me and works with me anyway.  He calls me silly things like “knight” and “servant” and draws me into His plans for my community.  I don’t know what those plans are, and I don’t know what the end result will look like.  I only know that I need to take another step once He reveals it.  Until then, I simply serve in the capacity I have now.  So, it’s Sunday, and I need to get back at it.  Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment