Friday, November 11, 2011

No Questions Please


The account of Abraham asked to sacrifice Isaac is an amazing story.  In Genesis 22 the account is laid out from the command of Yahweh to the eventual provision of a ram.  The context of this story in the life of Abraham makes it even more remarkable.  Abraham has been promised that through Isaac will his promise from Yahweh be fulfilled.  And now he carries a torch and a knife, lays the wood on Isaac, and heads up a mountain to kill Isaac, the child of promise.  It had to be odd for Abraham, but he never questions his Master.

Chambers points out the amazing level of obedience in Abraham.  He goes the next day, he doesn’t get the insight of others, but he also doesn’t question Yahweh.  This is especially odd since Abraham is not above questioning his Master.  He questioned his Master about Sodom and Gomorrah.  He questioned his Master when Ishmael was not the chosen child.  He questioned his Master when he was initially told he would be the father of a great nation.  He questioned his Master all along before, but not here.  Told to sacrifice the child of promise, and now he doesn’t question. 

Even though Yahweh is specific; actually overly specific in his command, “take you son, your only son, whom you love, Isaac;” Abraham is giving up more than Isaac by obeying.  Yahweh made a covenant with Abraham that subordinated Yahweh to the promise, and yet here he asks Abraham to do something that would go back on that promise.  He asks Abraham to participate in that renege, and bring about the loss.  The context brings out a much more powerful loss than just of Abraham’s son, and Abraham doesn’t question.  “Here, help Me ruin your life, break My promise, and take away what is most precious to you.”  I would have a question.

So, for me, what would be at stake if it were I at this point?  Honestly, one of the first things that springs to mind is how I will explain this to others.  So, my first problem is people-pleasing again.  But I also squirm under such a command because it doesn’t fit my understanding of my Master.  It might not be Him commanding me.  So my second problem is limiting the character of my Master to only what I can imagine.  Lastly, I just want the boy alive.  I wouldn’t want to do it.  I would push back hard to defend what I hold precious.  So, another problem I have is idolatry.  The more I dig, the more problems I find in myself through this account.

Abraham had learned not to question.  He had learned through the previous questions that he could never master the character of his Master.  Can I accept that I will never really understand my Master?

Abraham learned from his attempts to work out the promise on his own that he could not accomplish the plans of his Master; only Yahweh accomplishes the plans of Yahweh.  Am I able to accept that, in obedience and submission, I largely play a spectator role?

Abraham had friends, he had servants, and his household was a family.  He takes one of his servants with him, and has him stay with the donkey while he goes up the mountain to worship with Isaac.  Abraham knows he won’t be coming down with Isaac and that they didn’t take a goat.  It won’t take a brilliant servant to figure out what happened up there.  The household of tight relationships will never be the same, and he goes anyway without question.  How can I be unquestionably obedient before my peers knowing what will happen?

I don’t like these areas of growth in my life.  I don’t want to grow in them; I want to maintain my independence in these areas.  But they cause a separation between me and my Master.  After seeing the command of my Master on Abraham, do I want to close that gap between us?  Do I want to be closer to such a God?

The end of the story is that Yahweh provided a ram for the offering.  The point at which He provided was at the point where the point of the knife was about to plunge into Isaac.  What if He hadn’t provided the ram?  Can I follow through in my obedience without the expectation that my Master will take away the consequences of my obedience? 

I have been down part of this road already.  The process my Master led me through to get to Nevada touched some of these points.  But the lesson of accepting the character of my Master as He is, not as I want Him to be is one I have left before me.  I sense that I have assumptions, unconfessed frameworks of my own manufacture, that I use to view and interact with my Master.  Those will need to go.  I don’t know when or how, but I know my Master will not leave them in place.  When the lesson comes, I don’t want to question.  That would mean I have yet another lesson after that one…oh wait, yeah, never mind.  Duh me, of course I have lots of lessons ahead of me.  Well, I have my pencil and paper for notes, I will have a good breakfast, and I’m ready for the test, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment