Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Is my Master More Important to me than my Job?

What Chambers describes this morning is what I want and where I believe I'm headed in my life with my Master. I really do want to fade into the background and let His glory stand unsullied by my presence. But how am I working that into my daily grind?

One of the things I've been attempting is a greater awareness of my Master throughout my day. Yesterday, Chambers said it should be automatic (or was that two days ago?). I do know that even in the routines of my day, and those crisis that are in themselves routine even though unique, I am supposed to glorify my Master.

1 Corinthians 10:31 sums up Paul's very protracted discussion of eating food sacrificed to idols. The summary is important because most of the time when this was an issue it was in the normal course of a day. It was very normal for any gathering to include a blessing and sacrifice to gods. In some ways it is analogous to the Pledge of Allegiance in our culture, yet this involved idols and worship/sacrifice.

Craftsmen had guilds and those meetings included a sacrifice to whichever god or goddess they asked for success. Merchants had groups and meetings, and civic meetings and leaders would meet, and all with the same incorporation of worship/sacrifice. To exclude yourself from such meetings or food was to exclude yourself from your livelihood. That is what Paul was asking these believers to do. It was no small thing, required a developed argument, and did not make him popular in their church (see 2 Corinthians).

So, even when it isn't popular, or possibly costs me my job, I am to do all I do (even at work) to the glory of my Master. This could become a problem, but it would be a problem I am supposed to embrace as long as going through it brings glory to my Master.

I speak with people every day with whom my Master may be working. There have been times when, in my desire to help them, I may have wanted to bring up my Master as the answer to there specific need, not just generally. The most I have done is obliquely refer to Him, and I did so out of respect for the rules of my employer. What if my reluctance is adversely affecting my co-workers. Right now they cannot hear my conversations with customers, but what about my conversations with them? When I chat with them, or email them, and if those conversations take a turn toward deeper issues or needs, will I glorify my Master?

Part of the question for me is whether I believe that, having provided this job in the first place, my Master remains the Master of resources. And if I believe that He provided this job, would He lead me to jeopardize it, even to speak of His glory? I do believe that my Master provided this job and remains the Master of resources. But from the lesson of Abraham and Isaac, I also believe that my Master may very well ask me to sacrifice this gift He gave for His glory. He may want me to be sure I love Him more than His blessing (He already knows).

This is somewhat scary, but no more than any other daily issue where I am to glorify my Master. I fear the derision of others, and that is one risk. I risk being misunderstood, yet that pretty well sums up the ministry of my Master here on earth. I risk relationships within my family, but so did He. In essence the path following my Master is not comfortable, yet following Him brings peace and joy. It is a paradox that often ensures a hard life.

Right now, though, my life is not hard. Right now I have a routine, a limited set of responsibilities, and a comfortable place and set of circumstances. Do I love my Master enough to remain His servant if all this comfort was removed? I believe I do, because I loved Him before He gave all this. It is a matter of being constantly aware of my first Love, my single Devotion. As long as that is sure, my circumstances can change (and I suspect they will) without damaging my relationship with my Master.

Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest - November 16

No comments:

Post a Comment