Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Holy Like God is Holy, or Holy as I Consider God to be Holy?


Jesus used illustrations from the mundane to explain the profound.  So truth about very important aspects of my life with my Master can be found in the mundane areas of life.  In 1 Corinthians 10:31 when Paul is wrapping up his argument about food sacrificed to idols, he uses this statement as a general admonition to bring the focus of the glory of God into common aspects of my life.  Since Jesus used common aspects as illustrations, it seems He finds wisdom in these elements of life.

So, I have very common things I do each day where I can focus on the glory of my Master.  In these I can find wisdom when I look; lessons about the deeper things of my relationship with my Master.  For instance, washing dishes brings to mind Jesus’ statement about washing the inside being more important than the outside.  Even building something is used by Jesus to illustrate how it is necessary to plan for the end before I even begin my relationship with my Master; I am to finish well.  There are dozens more, and probably more that didn’t even make it into the gospels.

If those places of my daily life are made holy, not just the “holy” ones, I become more holy.  I don’t become holy in the sense that God is holy, but I become holy in the same way I consider Him holy.  I see my Master as completely “other”; distinct from any other person.  He is capable of creation at vast levels of complexity and in miniscule levels of intricacy.  I am not, nor will I ever be.  I’m not holy in that way; rather I’m holy in the sort of way I set Him aside as distinct from this common world.  I need to be distinct as well.  I need to be obviously different from others in my character and my behavior.

I am to be holy as implements are holy, not in the way that standing in His presence as a profane man would destroy me.  Although, I do need to abstain from unholy things as He does.  Jesus has the ability to transform common things to holy things.  Some things defy this transformation.  I want to follow this pattern of transforming common things I do into holy activities, and stay far away from behaviors and thoughts which defy such transformation.  Washing dishes, answering the phone (i.e. my job), and listening to my daughter talk and talk and talk and talk (oh my gracious…) are all things that can be and should be transformed into holy activities.

My interior thought life often runs headlong into the profane patterns that cannot be transformed into holy things.  Those I need to put under the ban.  These are the thoughts I bring captive to my Master.  The thoughts of sinful pleasures of my selfish nature are those things that will pass away in the process of my Master transforming this common man into a holy man.  I wish they were gone already, but they aren’t.  I still wrestle with them, and they still have a power over me; power I gave them long ago and still leave with them.  These things refuse transformation, so they must be destroyed.  I’m not there yet.

I am a man in transition.  I am a person in between the common profane life of this world and the holy glorious life of my Master.  My standard needs to be higher.  On that scale of holiness, I want to be further along.  I can be.  It’s not like I’m just getting by with my sinful thoughts until my Master comes for me.  I don’t want Him coming to find me consumed by sinful thought patterns!  How embarrassing, for us both!  I believe that when my Master calls me to be holy as my Father in Heaven is holy, this is a call that can be answered in this life.  Leviticus is full of explanations that the people were to be holy as God is holy.  It’s not a new idea.

So, today I dedicate my work, my family, and my mind to my Master.  I do so now, and I will need to do so again in about an hour.  And then I will need to do so around lunch, and then again as I get off work.  I will probably need to do so again at various times through my work day as well.  And there will be family time after work when I will need to rededicate my mind, words, and attitudes back to my Master.  I will have a lot of this going on I suspect.  But if I don’t I will miss the Person more amazing than anything I’ve seen through either my telescope or microscope; the One making all of it and holding it all together.  I can’t have that.

No comments:

Post a Comment