Friday, November 4, 2011

Approaching, Cleansing, and Purifying: Spiritual KP?


This morning, I have to confess that I have no idea what Chambers is writing about.  I read the first paragraph several times, looked up precipitate, and went on to the second paragraph hoping for clarity if I pushed on through.  The verse he refers too doesn’t help clarify his point either.  James 4:8 is an admonition to draw near to God and a call to purify and cleanse myself (which should be expected if I am to draw near to God).  Chambers seems to be writing about an action that makes little sense, that I do over and over until I figure out I’m not supposed to, and is exhilarating when I’m in the midst of it.  I have no idea what he’s going on about.

Part of the reason I don’t is his description of it.  First it’s acting on the truth of God.  Once the act is done (I assume the act on the truth of God), then I am never the same.  When I act I live instead of exist and it involves my whole will.  Then he refers to it as “transacting business with God” and I’m even more confused.  Here I come and go not realizing I’m supposed to stay not go.  Yet, once I do this act, I’m never the same.  It seems he believes that just taking notes about a discovery or rediscovery of a truth of God is enough of an act to meet this description.  Honestly I have never found taking notes that exciting.  Seriously, I’m really confused by this one.

But when I focus on the Scripture he used, that to me makes sense.  James is referring to how I treat my fellow believers, and puts the problem on my motivation for what I do.  When I am friends with the world, I make my Master my Enemy.  But the response of my Master is to act in zeal to pull me back into that relationship (which can seriously hurt me, but with pain that is better than being dead – not in relationship with Him).  So, my response, as James puts it, is to draw near to God, cleanse my hands, purify my heart, and mourn and weep over my condition and rebellion.  Allow my Master to raise me up and not try to do that myself.  Then my treatment of my fellows will be what it needs to be.

So, the passage I can relate to; the writing of Chambers, not so much.  Fortunately that’s pretty rare.  I’m sure there will people who can’t relate to what I write either.  Either way, the point is joining with and remaining in a relationship with my Master.  It takes drawing near, cleansing and purifying, and grieving over my sin.  It sounds a bit like a 12-step program.  I suppose this would be a good time for me to wrap this up and draw near to my Master.  Anyone seen the soap and scrub brush I just had a second ago?  Yay! KP of the soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment