Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Revisiting A Pet Peeve


Personality-based ministries are one of my pet peeves.  I know it’s a prejudice, but I distrust them intensely.  It has been very difficult for me to accept Rick Warren.  I’m still not entirely sold on Bill Hybels.  I never trusted Joel Olsteen, from the moment someone mentioned his success in Houston to me.  This is not my morning to remember names it seems, but suffice it to say that when a human name is mentioned in relation to a ministry before my Master I’m not their friend, not initially.  And no, that’s not fair, and yes, I know that’s a human prejudice.

I see in the entry this morning a real good support for this view, except that I’m not sure I really understand the point.  It sounds like Chambers is saying that unless sermons on salvation are preached, only the preacher is glorified.  That can’t be right, but I’m wrestling with what Chambers meant by, “If we preach the effects of Redemption in human life instead of the revelation regarding Jesus, the result in those who listen is not new birth, but refined spiritual culture, and the Spirit of God cannot witness to it because such preaching is in another domain.”  I’m not sure what he means by effects of Redemption in human life.

I don’t think that the effects of Redemption should be the focus of ministry, but if change does not happen as a result of Redemption, then was the person redeemed?  If the Spirit of my Master is not able to affect change, is He present in that person’s life?  The results of Redemption should point to the person of Jesus.  The results of Redemption should be so dramatic they can’t be ascribed to human effort.  And this does not mean that a person must become perfect after being redeemed.  I am ample proof of that; I would have been discarded long ago.

But when Chambers says that, if after a sermon, people go on and on about the preacher rather than my Master, there’s a problem.  He says something very interesting, “What a wonderful personality! What a fascinating man! Such marvellous insight! What chance has the Gospel of God through all that?”  I believe it is the nature of people to look no further than the sphere of their eyesight for something to worship.  But I also believe it is in the heart of people to desire more from their worship than can be found on the ground they walk.  People want a priest who will go before God on their behalf so they won’t have to; to be holy for them.

Can you imagine the pain my Master feels when those He gave so much to enable to enter His presence instead send another?  When I can’t be bothered, or I am ashamed of my sin I refuse to give up, or when I am afraid of losing my identity on a cross, I lose far more than I am able to retain.  I hurt the heart of my Master, I lose the peace and joy He has for me, and I reject any use I may be in His Kingdom.  It is the sacrifice of my Master that provides the example I am to follow, and it leads into His presence.  The goal, the place the journey leads, is into His presence.  It’s not about the journey; it is truly about the destination.

Paul, my frustrating and intimidating ministry model, says that he makes up in his body what is lacking in the sufferings of Christ.  I wrestle with what that means.  I struggle with thinking there is something lacking in the sufferings of Christ, even as Paul suffers over the church, the body of Christ.  He sees his role in ministry not about himself at all, but about his Master and his Master’s body, the church.  He endures whatever he must to care for his Master’s body.  So, here, the ends justify the means.  Another cliché that, in this context, becomes true.  So it is about the destination rather than the journey, and the ends justify the means.  Perhaps only when the destination and ends are Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment