Monday, November 21, 2011

Holiness Is The Context of Wrath


There is a word used by Chambers in this entry which is at the heart of the issue he has pursued the last three days.  The word is more comfortably used to refer to our standing before the Creator and Master of all things.  But when applied to the One who defines it, it becomes terrible even more than it becomes logically necessary.  The truth is that my Master is Holy.  And this is a frightening thing when compared to my profane life inside and out.  Moses spoke with God face to face, and yet could not gaze on His glory, but had to be hidden, seeing only the trailing final tendrils of it. 

The Holiness of God obliterates the existence of all that is not as pure as it is.  That is why it is so frightening; “For no man has seen me and lives (Exodus 33:20).”  This holiness takes the “otherness” of God to the extreme that is logically necessary for One who has Created this cosmos.  There truly could not be imagined a way for us to reach through the otherness of such a One.  What I discover is that for this One to reach out to His created beings requires a concession on His part.  This concession is required to bridge the gap between the magnitude of the holiness of such vast power and such limited frail ones such as me.

To stand in the presence of God with anything that is not what He has designed is to be in contempt of the One who made me, and all creation.  The nature of my sin is that I want to be my own master and my own god (my pastor reminded me of that Thursday – Thanks Pastor Rod!).  Such a nature stands in contempt of the One who truly is Master and God of all, not just me.  How can I exist in His presence with such a nature?  If Moses could not as the friend of God, how can I?  There is no fix available that I can produce or provide that will enable me to stand in the crushing weight and furnace fire that is the Holy Presence.

The glory of my Master is something I have seen in a vision, toned down to fit into my tiny head.  To enter from a dark hallway, I had to pass through a membrane that filtered out all my impurities.  I arrived in dirty tattered clothes and Jesus gave me a new robe to wear.  Even with my new robe, the pain in passing through the membrane was enormous.  It was like I left more than half of myself behind in the dark hallway.  But after the pain I stood in the brilliant presence of my Master.  I could not see His face, only such light that would blind me as the sun, and yet I could look anyway.  That “membrane” and the One giving me the new Robe, they are the same.

The Creator and Holder of unimaginable power, even though I am profane to my very core nature, still desired that “light” He imparted to every human.  He still wanted communion with those He made but who rebelled against Him; and continue in their rebellion.  He wants me as I am a member of this vast rabble of shameful rebels.  And His desire cannot be denied, even by Himself.  He moved to make it possible for the requirements of His holiness to be met on my behalf.  The wrath is now located in the context of the holiness of my Master.  It is a characteristic of such glorious otherness.  And it is pacified only in  the work of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment