Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Where Do I Go From Here?


I am in an odd place with my Master right now.  I suspect that what I need is some different arrangement of my time with Him where I am more immersed in Scripture.  That is a problem for me because delving into Scripture takes a lot of time.  I suppose what I need is just more of a reliance upon it.  For instance, this morning, Chambers used John 16:14, which is a snippet from Jesus speaking about the coming of the Holy Spirit after He leaves.  There are statements about the Person and work of the Holy Spirit not found anywhere else.  It’s a very important and often overlooked passage by those pretending to focus on Him in their doctrine.

Here is where Jesus speaks of the work of the Holy Spirit in convicting of sin, righteousness and judgment.  He then proceeds to give reasons for this that are not easy to follow.  There are other statements about His work that are very interesting because they seem…peculiar as functions of the Spirit of my Master.  He is like a messenger in that He takes of Jesus and announces to the disciples.  He is like a judge in that He convicts, but He convicts the cosmos, not just the disciples or those who are believers.  And convicts the cosmos of righteousness because Jesus returns to the Father and the disciples no longer see Him?  That sounds odd.

There are elements to my understanding of the work and Person of the Holy Spirit where I simply have to be okay with not being able to reconcile with each other.  I confess that I don’t totally understand the work of conviction and the reasons given for that work.  I confess that I don’t always understand the way of communicating He uses.  But John refers to Him here as the Helper, literally the One coming along side.  I do understand that He is with me now, I do get that.  I may not be able to understand what and how He’s doing what He is, but I don’t doubt He is doing something.  I do sense His power at times.

I need more of the Spirit of my Master, I do sense that.  I want to hear the announcements of what is my Masters.  I want to sense the conviction of the cosmos.  I want to see the power of change working in my neighborhood.  I want these things.  But I’m not sure how I can experience them without proving the Spirit more to work with in me; which I believe happens when I spend more time in Scripture.  Perhaps once I have 360 entries I will begin to explore the book of John.  Then I will be immersed in the life of my Master, His Spirit, and be able to wrestle once again with my limited understanding of both.  Eternal life is knowing Him, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment