Sunday, September 11, 2011

Training for Crisis in the Daily Grind

I have wondered what the entry for today would be, and if my Master had prepared something so long ago for the national crisis we have today. I have been told that our economy is suffering because of the blow dealt 10 years ago. I find that difficult to believe. But I found the events of that day difficult to believe. I could not comprehend what was happening. I saw it repeated on TV, and I had trouble comprehending it even then, after the fact. I have been to the place, and now have a better feel, but it is still somewhat remote to my sensibilities. Denial seems to run deep in me.

Chambers works over a theme he began in previous entries, that how I act or respond in small events will dictate how I respond in crisis. I need exercise in the in-between times of crises facing mundane events and opportunities. I need to face normal neighborhood people and be an example of my Master's love for them. I'm so not good at that. One of the things that happened in the aftermath of 9-11 was the return to churches and a wide-spread search for faith. It took a jolt like that to wake people up, but, eventually, many went back to the way they had been before. I wonder how much of that was my fault.

There was a focus on those towers for our enemies that made so little sense. If the evil of our society is what they hate so much, why focus the damage at the place where peoples of the world came together for business, not the wickedness they hate? If they claim to hate the homosexuality in our society, why not strike out at that? If they claim to hate the Christians of our society, why not strike out at churches? That they struck out at these towers means that what they hated most was our prosperity. And that is jealousy, not righteous indignation. That exposes these enemies for the shallow pools of humanity that they are.

In the response by emergency teams, they never even suspected that these towers would fall. It never occurred to them since they had withstood the other attacks, the planes had hit so high, and there seemed to be no indication that they were falling. These died trying to save others. Have I responded to the normal life situations and people in such a way that I would make such a sacrifice? Have I practiced in the daily movements of my life to be ready for such a crisis? Do I love others enough to be to them the hands and feet, perhaps ears and mouth, of my Master? I don't think so, not yet.

I keep saying that I don't know my purpose here yet. And I keep saying that as I'm waiting for that indicator that I will walk before my Master. So walk already! It is in this time of waiting that I am training. It is here that my availability to my Master is tested, proved, and tempered for better use later. It is in these normal times that I grow to become ready for a crisis. I don't think I take them that seriously yet. I need to. People I encounter in the normal events of my life are just as dead apart from my Master as those in crisis. He doesn't love them any less, so I should be listening for that push to minister to them. All I want is to get through the line.

Am I a blessing to others? Do I allow the blessings I have been given to flow through me into the lives of others? Am I that spring of living water; that fountain of living water? Do others find me a welcome source of encouragement? I can be. My Master has given me that ability to encourage; sensing where and how it would do the most good and give it. Do I? Not as often as I should. I am out of practice, and there are a lot of people around here to practice on, and who desperately need a good word. I have something else to work on.

It is a corporate worship day, a day of remembrance of the tragedy of 9-11, the second anniversary of the church I attend, and the first worship time in the new sanctuary. It's a lot of emotion to pack into one day. I will probably be spent by 2 pm, but it will be a "good" spent. I pray my Master will use me to bolster the spirits of others as He has bolstered me. My Master, You love me, You have my back, and I am at Your service this day. Pour me out into the lives of those around me, starting with my family first.

Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, September 11

No comments:

Post a Comment