Monday, September 19, 2011

The Constant Temptations of Christ (in me)

This is an entry that has me somewhat confused. My confusion stems from the use of a word in the New Testament which has always confused me. The normal word for temptation is the same for test. One comes from the enemy (temptation), and the other comes from my Master (test/trial). But in Greek, these are the same word with the specific meaning being supplied by context. In Luke 22:10, the context could support either one, and the KJV opts for "temptation" while more modern versions opt for "trial". Chambers runs with the "temptation" idea, and asks a question I'm not sure I know how to answer.

"It is true that Jesus Christ is with us in our temptations, but are we going with Him in His temptations?" What exactly are "His temptations"? He speaks of the temptation being directed at the nature of my Master in me, but unfortunately that doesn't help me much; although I'm pretty sure that's the key to understanding his point. How can the Spirit of my Master within me be tempted apart from me? I'm pretty sure that the "nature" Chambers refers to is the Spirit of my Master in me. But what temptations are being referred to, and how is there an option to leave off following my Master through them?

I suppose, going back to Chambers' definition of temptation might be helpful, wherein he says that temptation is a test of the possessions of a personality by a power not their own. I was going to say "external power," but most of my temptations are internal battle fronts. So, in the midst of the ministry of my Master on earth, He was faced with decisions or opportunities where what He possessed was tested by a power that was not Him. As I read through the accounts of His life in the four Gospels, I have to look for times when He had a choice regarding His possessions? I can only assume we're not talking about stuff in his pockets.

The "possession" I believe Chambers has in mind is the work of the cross and the grave; he says the path leads through Gethsemane. So, when was my Master given an opportunity to give that up? Well, I believe the time when He fed five thousand was an opportunity to create a kingdom on earth. And he offends the crowd instead (John 6). I believe confrontations with religious leaders also fit into this category. But Jesus makes the statement about the Twelve being with Him through His "temptations" at the table of the Last Supper. Even as He says He has prayed for Peter, as He reveals one will betray Him, as He has broken the bread and shared the wine; He says these at the table with Him have hung with Him in His temptations.

There were probably numerous times in His ministry when He could have opted for the easy quick way which would have left me and everyone else in our sins. So when does that happen to Him within me now where I have the option of not following Him through it? That's what I'm struggling to grapple with. Perhaps it's when I'm confronted with the guy I see dumpster-diving who wants change but is embarrassed to ask. I give him some and he wants to hug me, and apologize for the smell of beer on his breath. Was that an opportunity to either side with my Master as He saves the world or with the world which hates this man?

Was that too easy? Perhaps another option might be when I'm confronted with the rude customer who has called into my office, and yet takes their anger out on me for their inability to manage their learning requirements. Do I endure their insults and attitude because I want their money? Or do I seek for the healing words my Master has for the pain engulfing them? The world would have me return insult for insult (after I have their money of course), or talk about them behind their back after I hang up. Maybe those are also times where the temptation is really directed at my Master in me, not so much me.

It is a perspective that could reframe my ideas of temptations, and troubling people I encounter. It will take some thought. I sense a new area of submission coming up; great, just what I need…I mean want, just what I want. I do need it, and really, I do want it. It is my desire to be more conformed to the image of my Master. I still resist it sometimes, but I know I want it. I want it because that is the path to a closer connection to Him, and nothing excites me more than that; to touch the face of my Master. I tremble just writing that. "Just a closer walk with Thee, Grant it Jesus is my plea. Daily walking close to Thee, Let it be, Lord, Let it be."

Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, September 19

No comments:

Post a Comment