Friday, September 9, 2011

I Have A Job To Do: Submit

There is something appealing to the American culture to "Do It Yourself". We have a TV network with that as the title. In 12-Step groups the teaching is that we are powerless. And really, we are. So how can Chambers push something of the life with my Master back on to me? The American's reading today's entry (and probably yesterday's as well) starts well, and then crashes shortly into it. What I do myself is submit. My part is to take thoughts (he uses the term "project" from Moffatt's translation) captive to my Master. Chambers' liberally uses "projects" to include anything done for Jesus or the Kingdom.

The word for what is taken captive is one of many Greek words for "thought". This one refers to the result of using the mind and is related to the word, "mind". It is the noun form of the verb to think over a matter carefully. This would be the result of such thinking. It is differentiated from a word used previously in the same verse where the reasoning produces a well ordered argument. This is really more like a plan or a conclusion reached, or even a project, but a well thought out project. That is what is taken captive to my Master. Suddenly Robert Burns often misquoted line, "The best laid schemes o' mice and men Gang aft agley" (I don't know why it would be misquoted…) seems apt here.

Proverbs 3:5-6 also seems appropriate here. In fact much of Scripture supports the idea that my job is submission. That way I can put the Temple "praise band" out front of the warriors and see my Master bring the victory. I can circle a city blowing rams horns and carrying a gold box so the walls fall down. I can wave a stick over waters so they part. I can wave it over a rock and let water flow from it (I just need to be sure I don't strike the rock, which would be bad). By working diligently to submit to my Master, I can do silly things, foolish things, and my Master will make amazing things happen.

The problem I have is that the timing, not just the materials and the project itself belongs to Him. So, when He brings the project, or I take a plan of my own captive to Him, and He gives me marching orders (go to Nevada!), then I need to also trust for the means and the timing. That's hard. I want to "make it happen" once I know what "it" is. Even that belongs to my Master. I truly am along for the ride. Here again I have to say, "It's not about me." Is it ever? No, not really. It was sort of about me on the cross when my Master sacrificed Himself for me, but only as a member of the large group of created beings.

It's not about me. And that's ok. It doesn't have to be. Now I go for a walk in the cool of the dawn, walking dogs with my wife. And that is not about me either. I will sit at my station this morning and work with customers and co-workers, and that is not about me either. I will spend the day given to me by my Master, and it is not about me. It is about Him; His purpose, His plans, and His thoughts. My Master has given me a task, and that task is submission. I am to wait, worship, and walk before Him; even now.

Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, September 9

No comments:

Post a Comment