Monday, September 26, 2011

Reconciliation as a Disruptive Practice

There is a set of steps among the twelve that I understand better than the others. Steps 8 and 9 are considered some of the most difficult, and two of the most important. They are said to clear away the wreckage of my past. My dad taught me to own my mistakes. He taught me that owning them and accepting the consequences is the best way to live with the consequences, restarting relationships. I'm not sure how he knew that, who taught him, or why he had made the connection, but Jesus taught such things in the Sermon on the Mount.

In that discourse in Matthew 5 through 7, Jesus says that even at the point of offering on the altar (which is a very public aspect of worship), if I remember that someone has something against me, I am to stop worship right there, leaving the gift ungiven, go and reconcile then return and complete the act of worship. Can you imagine a modern worship service where the offering plate is passed, and someone leaves the envelope on the chair leaves the building and drives off? That would be an odd event, yet it should mark my life as a servant to my Master.

The pastor yesterday spoke of promises Paul listed to the churches in Galatia. One of those was my adoption as a fellow heir with my Master. Also in that passage is a statement that, until the heir inherits, there's not much difference between the heir and the slave. Being adopted doesn't diminish my role as servant to my King in the slightest. Being a fellow heir with my Master does not make Him any less my Master. So these characteristics of shameless reconciliation, humiliating acceptance of ill treatment (going the extra mile, whoever heard of such a thing?), and rejoicing when persecuted for my faith are also characteristics of an adopted child of and fellow heir with my Master.

The challenge and an area of strength for me, is keeping my list of people who have something against me short. I would like to say empty, but I have family, and sometimes... But I think that they don't currently occupy my list, I can't remember any at the moment. The day is young, give it time. I suppose I need to wait until worship? I don't think so, that was just the most unbelievable time Jesus' audience could think of to practice such a thing. My list can be brought to my attention any time, including at work and on the phone.

I also have to consider my desire for people-pleasing as I consider this. Not every resentment toward me is a sin of mine. But is it sin leaving a division not of my making without reconciliation? My pride says "no", my co-dependency says "yes", but what does my Master say? I believe that Paul's statement that I am to live at peace with all men, as much as it depends on me would answer that it is my responsibility to attempt reconciliation. So, not out of co-dependency, but out of submission to my Master, I am to leave, even public worship, to attempt reconciliation with a fellow believer.

My pride still rebels, but it is supposed to be dead anyway so who cares. It is my Master who matters and Him only. He is the Maker and Sustainer of the heavens, the earth, from sub-atomic particles to super clusters of galaxies. Knowing Jesus as my Savior, Him crucified and raised from the dead is the basis for all other knowledge. It could be argued very well that such knowledge is all that need be known. Knowing that makes reconciliation seem rational and natural. Knowing that means interrupting worship is the very thing that makes worship possible. It is the first element to a very different life made up of other strange elements. It becomes the basis of a holy life of peace and joy.

Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, September 26

No comments:

Post a Comment