Sunday, June 26, 2011

What Do You Mean by Grace?

As I read today's entry, I was a bit lost until I realized that Chambers was using a different definition for grace than I was. His definition has to do with the ability my Master gives to keep from sinning. He speaks of it as available in any situation through prayer.

My definition is one I've never really challenged before, but has to do with forgiveness after I've already messed up. I also rely on my Master in situations through prayer, but I haven't called His help 'grace'; I've called it help. Calling it grace puts more of the ability to respond in a situation on my Master; the proper response is itself a gift. It takes me more out of the position of getting, or taking, credit for responding well.

Perhaps, as Forrest Gump discovered, maybe it's both. Perhaps grace has a range of meaning including both ideas, and mine has been too small. Expanding my definition would mean that I turn to my Master for 'help' and my effort would be to receive His grace for that moment. I would need my definition a lot less that way, and my Master would the credit He has deserved all along.

Today I have some hard messy tasks to do before we hit the road. I will pack the bearings on the our trailer. And make sure all tires are aired up. It's insanely hot here. My patience will be in short supply because I'm tired. And I am already a bit frustrated because the dogs have made sleeping through the night at our hotel difficult. Today I will really need the moment-bt-moment grace of my Master. If, at the end of the day, I have responded well in the situations I face, my Master will get the praise He deserves. It cannot have been me at that point.

Oswald Chambers' "My Utmost For His Highest": June 26th.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.1

No comments:

Post a Comment