Saturday, June 18, 2011

Not Walking On Water, But Still…

It is clear to everyone I relate my circumstances that my Master is leading me to move several states away, back out west. It is difficult for those without knowledge of my Master to reconcile the pieces, because the refuse to integrate my Master into my circumstances. My circumstances simply make no sense apart from my Master. Chambers uses the event of Peter walking on water to illustrate how Scripture teaches I am to regard my circumstances. In Matthew 14:29-30, Peter gets out and walks. He then is distracted by the wind, and begins to sink. The wind was there all along, and as a seasoned sailor, Peter had to know that. But it wasn't a distraction as he saw Jesus walking on the water, and called out to Him. The wind didn't enter into his mind as Jesus called him out of the boat, and as he stepped onto the water. It says he walked about. Then he saw the wind.

I hope that my circumstances, so ripe with the finger prints of my Savior and Master never become a distraction from Him. As I relate the story over again, I see where that can become the focus instead of my Master. But the story is incomplete. It is also clear that my Master has some reason for leading us out there. My family has something He wants us to do. I have no idea what that is right now. But I do know that part of what my Master seems very intent upon is that I keep this job I have. I would not have thought that. He could provide from anywhere. There are options where I am going where I would interact with people locally. But for some reason my Master wants me interacting over a distance with remote customers and team mates. Again, I don't know why.

It is very comforting to know that my Master has a purpose for me. In a sense, Peter's call to Jesus to ask Him to call Peter out of the boat was a test. He wanted to know it was really Jesus, Who he knew would call him out of the boat. And Jesus did call Peter out of the boat. So, now my family and I are going. We waited until my Master called. We even made plans to stay since we had not heard. It wasn't until it became clear we were not going to move without Him that He spoke.

And now we go, and go well supplied. But such a provision also implies a purpose. So really the adventure begins. Part of the provision, which my Master would not waste, is my job. So, that is also part of the purpose. My wife's job continues to develop, and so that is also part of the purpose. We will in some sense be in a community and also in a major portion of this country at the same time. It is sort of surreal to consider it from that perspective. My customers cover this country beyond even the 48 contiguous states, and include US possessions. My wife's clients now span the entire Western United States specifically, and a few the entire United States. This entire wide expanse of contact and interest comes down to a focal point in a town with a population of 20k; just big enough for a Wal-Mart, a Lowes, and a Starbucks.

So what is my Master up to? What is He doing by moving in this way, to this place? The adventure has really just begun, and focusing on the provision, to the exclusion of the Provider is really silly at this point. So, I will continue to worship my Provider as my Master, and walk before Him where He directs. Something is happening, and for that work of my Master I wait. So call continues: Wait, worship, and walk before Him. And so I will.

Oswald Chambers, My Utmost For His Highest, June 18

No comments:

Post a Comment