Friday, June 24, 2011

Accepting That People are Evil Without Accepting the Evil?


There are some entries in MUFHH where I sense something is missing. Today's is one of those. I have difficulty making the connection to "reconciling" myself to the fact of sin, and "compromising" with sin (or is it "the fact of sin" I compromise with?). Basically, Chambers says that if I do not reconcile myself to the fact of sin (in me and others it seems) I will compromise with it. Here's what I think he means or is getting at: Sin is a basic element of human nature, so to disregard this basic element or to take a higher view of human nature will ultimately lead me to find other explanations and solutions for human nature than my Master.

I think that is what He's saying. And to be fair, I think that he's mostly right. He defines sin as a rebellious posture toward God, and with this definition, transcends "bad behavior" and includes "good behavior contrary to the will of God." That's where his explanation really works best. I agree that to disregard the essence of rebellion against my Maker in my nature leads me to solve the wrong problem or make allowances in the wrong direction. I believe this is also true in my relationships with others. If I disregard the essence of rebellion against our Maker in others, I will seek other explanations and solutions than reconciliation with my Master. There are no other solutions.

Where I do not agree is when he defines compromise as "saying it is of no use to battle against it." I'm not clear on what he means when he says that reconciling with the fact of sin leads me to say in my relationship with others, "Yes, I see what that would mean." See what which "that" would mean? Is he referring to some decision I might make with regard to a friend or acquaintance? Perhaps seeing where such a decision would lead due to the rebelliousness in my heart and theirs? Honestly I'm not that clear here, because I don't know that I compromise with myself by saying "it's of no use to fight it," and I don't remember when I have ever been so safe with someone that I trusted them to only make safe decisions.

He also says that Jesus did not trust human nature, but was not cynical or suspicious. I agree with that, but I, on the other hand, have very strong tendencies that direction. My basic assumption of people is that they will do the wrong thing. I hope they won't, but I expect nothing more. And I am cynical, to a dangerous degree; especially at work lately, and particularly with one department.

So, the application I see for me is to adopt a point of view of others and myself which accepts the essence of sin at the core of human nature, and, simultaneously, avoid the tendencies of cynicism and suspicion which can naturally arise from such a view. Well, as I see it, the only way that will happen is if I am so focused on my Master that I see myself and others through His perspective, and accept the love He has for me and for them. This should be a natural outcome of such a focus. Perhaps another natural result will be avoiding that pesky judgmental attitude I mentioned the other day. Hmm, it seems a lot of my personal problems can be solved by focus on my Master. Now if I can just figure out what that looks like on a personal, active level throughout my day. Like getting to Carnegie Hall, I get there with practice, man, practice (aka, spiritual discipline).

Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, June 24

No comments:

Post a Comment