Thursday, June 30, 2011

Is There Such a Thing as “Righteous” Complaining?

Now Chambers uses another verse from the Sermon on the Mount from Matthew 5. This time he's applying the principle to make friends with your adversary on the way to court. His application cut right through my normal dismissal of this principle. I don't have legal adversaries, so I can ignore this one. Not so.

Chambers applies this as a law of Jesus applicable in relationships. When I want to prove I am right more than I want that restored relationship, then this rule applies. That happens to me way too often. The result is that I will pay in full measure for this attitude. And how many relationships have I let be ruined because I had to be right?

Today I have an opportunity to apply this rule. The U-Haul will be unloaded today. We will probably turn it in later today or tomorrow. When we do, I have a bone to pick with U-Haul in general, not the very nice people working the office here. The truck broke twice and we were delayed twice. Each delay put us behind where we really wanted to be. So, do I fight for recompense or gently work their system for some reconciliation?

We are living in this area. So making enemies is foolish, and expensive. Any delay was eventually made up, and we arrived on time, actually a bit early. So, yes, we were delayed, spent some time on the side of the road. But we also met some great people. The eventual solution worked out as only my Master can work things. Pete came to us on the side of the road, and he had sent another guy towing a car to Albuquerque. When he found it was the fuel pump, he asked the guy already in Albuquerque to check on picking one up. The guy found the one in Albuquerque, and therefore anywhere within hundreds of miles. While the guy was on the hour-long trip back from Albuquerque, Pete pulled the old busted fuel pump, shortening the time from two hours down to one. They thought we were "lucky", but I know better.

So how much of a problem were the delays? In reality, not much. We didn't stay in the places we expected, but we made it here on time. The journey legs were different, some shorter, some longer than we planned, but my Master got us here right on time. He proved Himself to be Master of Timing.

So, I have one more detail to resolve before I can work remotely. The "black box" that makes it all connect is delayed by over a week. So, my Master of Timing is also Master of this problem. It really is not something I need to resolve. I need to resolve to submit to my Master's timing. I think I have the easy part, and He has the "heavy lifting." So, what else is new?

Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, June 30

1 comment:

  1. Wow - don't you sometimes wonder what the unseen battle looks like in a situation like this? The wrestling between angels and demons -- the attempts of the enemy to wreck your trip and your attitude, not to mention your witness, and the protection and provision instead of the One greater than he to bring good from inconvenient, annoying, troublesome, worry-potential circumstances. And it's awfully nice when He ALLOWS us to catch a glimpse of the good He was doing -- some of it we may never know -- but we can be sure He takes our protection very serious. He is a Warrior and Savior -- a passionate Father. I'm glad you belong to Him. I'm glad He was right there in the middle of all that was happening. I'm glad you made eye contact with Him and chose to submit to His character in you rather than be persuaded by the enemy to let that U-Haul rep hear what any natural man would've doled out. Today I had to repeat back to myself more than once, May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable unto you, LORD. The battle continues.

    ReplyDelete