Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Three Parts of Trust

This is the strangest entry in MUFHH so far.  It is split up into three short points on trust.  First off, I should not trust anyone but my Master.  He uses a verse in John which was really hard for me to translate into English, 2:24-25.  It spoke of Jesus not committing Himself to the crowds with whom He was popular.  I have been there for a long time, in fact I don’t remember how I got there, but I doubt it was pleasant.

I distrust to a point of being prejudiced against personality-based ministries.  So Billy Graham ministries never intrigued or attracted me (prejudiced).  But then again, I have never been one for TV evangelists or popular authors either.  I believe that, at some point, the attention on the person usurps the attention which belongs entirely to my Master.

Second, I should put the work of my Master first.  What Chambers means by this is the work of my Master in me.  The idea is that, before I run off and be “effective” for my Master, I should first be available to His hands to modify me.  I need to shed the idea that I’m fine as I am; that I am already what He wants me to be so I can be effectively used by Him.  So, one of the things that needs to go is pride.

Lastly, is hard for me to really understand.  I’m guessing there was a lot more to that point not in the entry which makes it clearer.  The gist, as best as I can see it, is that I am to allow my Master to be “born in me” like Bethlehem.  I think Chambers is describing the process of allowing Jesus to live more through me; to the point that others see Him more than me, or at least as much as they see me.

I am no way near there yet.  There are so many areas where my Master has yet to have mastery over me.  I still am so obvious; my fears, my pride, and my shame driving me instead of my faith, my awareness of my servant status before my Master, and my radical acceptance by my Master.  When those become more obvious than the fear, pride, and shame then I will be more like Bethlehem (a house of bread).  I will have something to offer.

Oswald Chambers' "My Utmost For His Highest": May 31st.

No comments:

Post a Comment