Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Adding to My Character? Can I Do That?

In 2 Peter 1:5, Peter starts a progression of character qualities which starts with faith.  Chambers says that this progression is our responsibility, that these are things we are to “add” to ourselves, like it says.  He is probably right, but I have a troubling problem here.

The first thing added is a “goodness”, a generic term for what is favorable or qualitatively preferred, “the ‘good’ china” mom used to use so rarely.  I have been in 12 steps for so long that it is difficult for me to reconcile this concept in 2 Peter with the first step which says that I am powerless.  Step 6 says that I become ready to have Him remove these defects of character, which means that any “goodness” I would “add” really comes through submission, not through direct action on my part.

But Peter seems to be ignorant of the 12 step process.  He seems instead to be under the impression that we can add things to our character.  And he is not alone there.  Paul seems to be under the same impression when he uses a similar list.  The impression I get is that I really am responsible for changes in my character.

One of the most popular books among Christians is “Celebration of Discipline”, and readers either love it or hate it.  Those that hate it are usually overwhelmed by the sheer number of spiritual disciplines it contains and feel shame at not being able to do them all.  I fit somewhere between that and finding in it all the truth I have been looking for in my walk with my Master, and so on.  I recognize that in the book Richard Foster says that these disciplines are not measures of spiritual maturity or increasing personal goodness.  In other words, I am not a “better” Christian and more perfect because I do these things, and you will be as good as I am only if you do them too.  That is legalism, and that is not what Foster teaches.  Instead he says the purpose of any spiritual disciplines is to place myself within reach of my Master, and at His disposal.  So, I use spiritual disciplines to make myself more available to Him.  What happens then is the result of contact with my Master and not my own efforts, at least not directly.

Chambers charge to get busy adding is a needed charge.  I need it.  I need to add these character qualities to my character, but not so that I will be more acceptable to my Master, but more available to Him.  Sure I can say that I am “at His service”, but if I have a moral problem that is either distracting me or makes obedience to Him in another area impossible, I’m not at His service, whatever I might say.  I add goodness to my faith so that my faith can be active.  I add knowledge to my goodness so that I have a better pattern to use to filter all the messages I receive throughout my day.  To my knowledge I add self-control, then perseverance, and then godliness.  Then comes brotherly love, and then real love.

I can’t do all that, and I know already that self-control and love and goodness are actually fruit of the Spirit, and not fruit of me at all.  So accomplishing these are actually the result of pursuing my Master, and seeking to commune with His Spirit.  So, by adding, I am seeing things added, submitting and seeing the fruit, abiding and sensing the branch and vine.  I hope that’s right.  I’m not sure my addition is right, so if someone could check my work I would be grateful.

Oswald Chambers' "My Utmost For His Highest": May 10th.

No comments:

Post a Comment