Saturday, May 28, 2011

Not Asking But Knowing With Certainty–A New Type Of Prayer For Me

I like today’s entry.  It gets at the heart of where my current struggle lies.  The verse is John 16:23 where Jesus is telling His disciples about their life after He ascends.  What He says is that, in that day (after He ascends), they will not ask anything of Him, rather whatever they ask of the Father will be done for them.  He is getting at the access to the Father, which at that time went through Him, but after Him, will pass direct.  As Chambers’ points out, they will be one with the Father as Jesus is.  As I have pointed out before, this idea is overwhelming for me.

But right now, I struggle with how to pray.  I know that my Master has provision for employment all sewed up, even if I don’t see it.  That’s easy to say, but hard to let go of so I can have peace.  I need to revisit that occasionally to regain that peace.  I know that my Master has provision for where we shall live, even if I don’t see it yet.  Again, easier to say than to live out, and I revisit that one too.

But harder is that my in-laws are looking for a home on our behalf, and I fear that they may be becoming frustrated with the process.  I don’t want that.  We are making this move precisely to alleviate them of stress, and I don’t want to pile on something else in the process.  Secondly, I know that my Master has it covered, possibly through them, but not necessarily.  So, I want them to rely on our reliance upon my Master.  That’s co-dependent.  I may want them to do that, but I can’t stress over it.  What I can do is pray for them.  I can pray that my Master provide them the peace He has provided us; that He make clear to them through us that His provision is supreme, not their purchase power.

I am also concerned that the wheels of industry where I work will not rotate fast enough to decide on allowing me to work remotely before I leave.  Or that they will rush it, throwing something together that will not work well.  But these details are out of my control, and not my problem.  It is my Master’s problem to provide for these details.  While people may be under the impression they control, I know it is my Master really controlling the details, ones they cannot see, and may not be able to imagine.

So, my focus needs to be drawing closer to my Master, worshipping Him, walking before Him, being available to His will.  He loves me, He has my back, what is there to worry about, or what should distract me from what I have to focus on?  Romans 8 ends with this challenge, that since the Father judges, the Son justifies, and has paid the requirements of justice, who can bring a charge against me?  What have I to fear?  Nothing can separate me from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus my Master.  What else matters?

So, in this day, I do not ask my Master for anything.  But whatever I ask in His name (as in on His behalf) I know I have it.  So I ask for the peace and glory of my Master to be revealed to my in-laws.  I ask that in the name of my Master.  And I have whatever I ask.  Now, if they will just see what is being revealed to them.  But that is not my problem to worry about.

Oswald Chambers' "My Utmost For His Highest": May 28th.

No comments:

Post a Comment