Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Glory of God in a Cracked Pot–Do You See It?

In 2 Corinthians 4:10, Paul is wrapping up an unhappy list of afflictions that believers suffer, along with the corresponding assertion that the believer still survives it.  It is “happy” that the believer survives, but it is difficult to believe that followers of Jesus would be very effective at sharing the “good news” of Jesus using this passage.  At least it would seem so on the surface. 

Paul wraps up the examples of harsh living with “always carrying about the death of Jesus in the body so that the life of Jesus might be revealed in the body.”  This statement is a great way to cap off the preceding verses of survived strife.  And it would seem that it would be the least attractive way to convince someone to believe Jesus has any “good news” available.  But when the list is really examined, what is found is that it contains much that is common in life.  The statement bandied about by most parents (probably in every culture on the planet) that “life is not fair” is so common because it’s true.  In many ways, in all walks of life, in a multitude of circumstances, life is tough.  What is so remarkable about these statement is the victory implied by each, including the last.  The last says that the reason for the victory through life, as bad as it may be, is that Jesus’ resurrection might be proven to be true.

So, when I “suffer” in this unfair life, the victory of my endurance and perseverance displays the power and life of my Master.  I am clearly not equal to the task.  For instance, when it became clear to me that my Master wanted my family and I to move out of state to assist my in-laws, I didn’t hesitate.  We set a date, marked the calendar, rented a truck for that date, and are ready to go.  That is without prospects of job, house, or anything else.  People asked us and looked at us like we were nuts, sort of.  There was this marvel in their eyes.  And it was clearly a mental reassessment of who we are, and what our lives are about.  We simply said our family needs us and we’re going.  As we do so, and people witness this peaceful working out of such a decision, I think it becomes clear that the difference about us has to come from somewhere else.  People just don’t do such things, not normally.  So, the only thing they know about me that explains this difference is my belief in my Master.  That is what is different about me from them, and they know that.  So, as I go through this transition, it is my Master Who shines through. 

This is true even though they know of failures on my part.  I have owned them.  Perhaps they have seen some changes lately, but I have not denied my failures.  So, what they witness is an admitted imperfect follower of Jesus, who, when it comes down to the tough choices just does the right thing.  The trust in being cared for is clear, and just as clear is that there is nothing tangible, just trust.  So, the clarity of my Master’s glory is still not as clear as it would be through a cleaner vessel, but His mercy and grace could not be more evident.  I’m a cracked pot containing the unimaginable treasure of the glory of the Master of the Universe.  It’s hard not to tell what’s inside when the outside is so broken.  The holes in my character are the spaces in my life where my Master shines the brightest.

Now, as it turns out, the imagination of my Master has exceeded my own once again.  A possibility has arisen which may hold the opportunity of moving but still maintaining my job.  There are hurdles to be worked out, but the possibility is still there.  Even if it does not work out, that my Senior Supervisor even suggested it means a lot to me.  So I am once again blessed beyond my own qualities.  I pray that either way this option turns out that my Master’s grace and power once again shines bright through the gaps in my life.  I believe it will.  It has so far, and this does not take away something I have now, rather holds out the possibility of adding.  I truly have nothing to loose, so the blessing is there either way.  And this is evidence to which I cling, evidence that my Master will provide one way or the other from an imagination I cannot hope to match.  Call it faith if you want, but to me, once evidence like this shows up, it seems too easy to believe to call faith.  But, on the other hand, it makes it easier to step out on faith for all the other decisions I make.

Oswald Chambers' "My Utmost For His Highest": May 14th.

No comments:

Post a Comment