Friday, July 15, 2011

Serving Others Uncomfortably; Not My Favorite Thing

How much of myself am I willing to give to others? On behalf of Jesus, I owe everyone (Romans 1:14). I confess that I'm not there. Just yesterday, a guy who looked homeless at first I ignored. It wasn't until he got closer as he passed us by that I saw that his clothes were actually newer and he was probably a trade laborer. My prejudice was there, unmistakably, and I have to own that. I was with my family and it crossed my mind that I was not engaging because I was concerned for my family. But that's not correct. Wouldn't it be better to teach my daughter the practice of reaching out to others due to the debt I owe my Master, and therefore everyone on earth?

I am in need of a better sense of others. I have a need to relinquish my fears, and engage this world on behalf of my Master. I have a real issue if I tell my Master I am at His service, but will not engage on His behalf. I can call myself a knight and a servant, but if I respond to the needs of this world in fear for myself, then I am truly neither. And yet, I believe that my Master is calling me these things to begin to build them in me. I have an idea that fulfilling these terms is where I am headed, led by my Master and King. I am not entirely comfortable with that, but I see the need in myself. I don't know what I can actually accomplish, but that has never been the point, only a point of my excuse.

So, today, visiting my hometown, away from the place where we have been led, I will be in a context that may make such engagement easier. On the other hand, there may be far fewer opportunities. Whatever opportunities come my way, seeing them as the envoy of my Master should see them. This will take practice, and I need to not be concerned that I may not do it well at first. I suppose that embarrassment is simply part of the surrendering myself to my Master. Lovely.

Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, July 15

No comments:

Post a Comment