Thursday, July 7, 2011

Hiking the Rough Road to Life, Or I Will Be Sometime

The gate is narrow and the path is difficult leading to life (Matthew 7:14). Chambers focuses on the mention that the path is difficult. The word used for "difficult" means to rub together between the fingers. As an adjective it's very descriptive, and easily conveys the image of difficulty. So, my path is supposed to be as if I were rubbed between the fingers of my Master. No wonder few find this gate and path. They are probably not looking for one thing. I don't know many people looking for a way of life characterized by being rubbed between the fingers of God.

And yet, I find there are a lot of things I use where that is something I do with them, especially to clean off certain types of things, like rubber cement, or other glue. There is a benefit to cleaning things this way instead of with soap and water. By rubbing some things between my fingers, I can roll them into a tight tube. So there are some practical aspects of such a difficult life.

My day now is spent at home, and yet on the phone with customers. It's somewhat surreal to be able to take a break and go into my own kitchen to get a snack. That's not bad, but when the dogs in the neighborhood get riled up, it's a bit of a difficult explanation as what that "noise" in the background is about. I can't tune out all the noises of home, squabbles, dogs, appliances, TV, and so on. My daughter likes to be able to come in and hug me and I like that too. But she also notices that I'm focused on what I'm doing, and can't spend time with her. It's still an 8-hour job, and so I'm more accessible, but only slightly so.

But I doubt this is the "difficult" way leading to life. I'm not sure when that comes now that we're here in Nevada. Perhaps it is found in the additional down-sizing we have to do as we unpack. Perhaps it will be in the search for a church. We found one that seems sad for some reason. I don't know if that is normal for them, but it was fairly pronounced. We intend to try another one this Sunday, but there is a part of me that is fascinated by the troubles of that first church.

I don't know where the troubles are, but they will come. The gate is narrow and the path is hard, but it leads to life. Few find it for whatever reason, but it leads to life. I want life, so I will follow it, hard or easy, or through whatever terrain. I have my stout stick, my pack with water bag, a wide hat, and sturdy boots. It sounds a bit like what I normally wore to work in Texas. Happy Trails!

Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, July 7

No comments:

Post a Comment