Friday, February 4, 2011

Too "Good" for God?

I know I'm not unique in this, but every once in a while I wonder about it.  In 2 Corinthians 5:14, Paul says that he is constrained (hemmed in or fenced in) by the love of Christ.  In that frame of mind, nothing else but the love of Christ matters to him.  His entire life is focused on that love which, initially called him to itself, and then proceeded to send him out as a messenger and witness of it to the rest of the world.  The activity of Jesus on my behalf, the glorious appearing somewhere around the corner, the throne of God, the Lamb Slain from the Foundation of the World.  The visions of the glory of God are abundant, but are they my focus?

I have a problem.  I am fairly good at a wide variety of things, and have an aptitude for learning more.  It doesn't sound like a problem, but I believe that because my focus has not been on the glorious love of Christ, I have upstaged the Truth of which I am a custodian and servant.  I do not do so consciously, but I do not try not to consciously. If that does not make sense, let me put it this way. I really like the praise and attention of others. So when I do something right or well, I like the attention I get.

I am thinking now, and have before, that I am too slow to point to Jesus as the One deserving attention. I had someone tell me that I am too hard on myself, since lots of people do that or have the same issue. But does that make it acceptable for me? I doubt it makes it acceptable to Jesus. It's not that I should be pointing to Jesus as the One really responsible for whatever I do. I make way too many mistakes for that. I think I should be using any positive attention I get as an opportunity to advertise for my Lord and Master. It is the “Love of Christ” that I should be pointing to given any opportunity, because it is that very love that will enable others to experience the real core of my life, eternity.

I have a challenge now. If I am as “skilled” as I say I am, then I will see how far that skill really goes. I will attempt to word my advertisement for my Master in response to any praise I receive in such a way that it is both clear, and acceptable in a carnal corporate environment. I succeed when the subject of the response overshadows any attention on me, positive or negative. When I am upstaged by God, I will be truly successful, and finally live the call of Knight of the Realm, Servant to the King (KOTR SOTK).

No comments:

Post a Comment