Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Does Burn Out = Self Reliance?

Isaiah says of God in 40:28, that He does not weary or tire, and His understanding is impossible to search. So when I work at His work, does that mean that I am to have these qualities?  Am I supposed to not tire, grow weary, or be understood by those I serve?  Really?  Isn't that like trying to make stars, or form human beings from dust and so on?  Is that really a reasonable expectation?

So, if not, then while He is tireless and always fresh for work, I am not.  My understanding is easily searchable by the most rudimentary of search engines (children for example).  I am in constant need of refreshment, rejuvenation, and reanimation.  My imagination needs new material regularly.  I sound like a very needy minister, and I confess, I am a very needy minister.  And I'm OK with that.

After all, if I want to teach dependence, shouldn't I be dependent?  If I want to lead others to Jesus, shouldn't I be going to Him constantly?  If I want to share my experiences with my Master, shouldn't I have some experiences to share?  So, how would I be able to be a minister if I were not dependent upon my Master for my refreshment, rejuvenation, and reanimation?  If all I had to share were whatever I could produce or had stored up from my own abilities or power, I would have nothing that pointed to my Master.

So, the disciplines which put me in the path of God, which make me available to Him for His work, should include reliance upon Him for the refreshment from being weary, rejuvination from exhaustion, and reanimation from listlessness.  So, I pray, I worship, I meditate on Scripture, I write, I sit quietly and listen.  I watch those around me, I listen to my fellow believers, I give hugs, I sit quietly with those who mourn.  I soak up all that I can perceive of God in action around me, and I search out His ways without waiting for understanding.  I find His fingerprints, and seek to match His hand movements.  I work as an apprentice, an understudy, a child.  And I return constantly to the start; prayer, worship, meditation, watching, listening.  At least that is how I want it to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment