Monday, February 21, 2011

Strategic Faith?

Strategy is not my strong suit.  Sometimes, I can use tactics to my advantage, but strategy seems to elude me.  At least in online games.  In some ways it also seems true in life.  I don't really think strategically, whether in my job, or investing, or home life, and so on.  Tactically, I can address the crisis of the moment, and do so with a cool head and clear thinking.  Planning ahead, not so much.  There are a several reasons for this, for instance I seem to be constrained to an out-of-sight-out-of-mind thinking pattern.  As a coping mechanism, I try to create self-sustaining systems to address things strategically.

Things that are alive may be self-sustaining to a large degree, but daily life rarely is.  My strategy is silly.  I would say lazy except it can take a lot of work to make a seemingly self-sustaining system.  It may take more work to put such a busted system in place than it would take to simply address the problem in a personal manner.  I am still working on my grasp of and responses to reality.  Denial dies hard.

When it comes to my relationship with God, when I inventory my relationship to my Master, I often find this silly coping mechanism working in the background.  I have tried to create one of those systems I don't have to work on daily to take care of my relationship.  I have pushed the "autopilot" button in the plane rather than take the yoke myself or hand it to Jesus.  I go through my day at work, after a lovely meaningful quiet time, completely ignoring my Savior (unless a crisis arises and I switch to tactical mode).  I expect that the time in the morning simply carry me through the day without any further connection after.

One of the areas I have had to grow in my marriage is the importance of contact with my wife throughout the day.  I have had to accept that this is important to her, and reach out periodically, usually at lunch.  I discovered something.  Not only does it improve our relationship in several ways, but it affects me as well.  I am happier, I have a better sense of what I am doing at work and why (for my family not my boss), and I seem to be more apt to ensure I leave work right when my time is over rather than dawdle. 

What would happen in my day if I included a second helping of time with Jesus?  What if I placed that time strategically within my day to maximize its effects on the rest of the day?  If my contact with my wife has such an effect (not always, but more often than not), what would contact with God do to me and my day?  Again, it would not change the circumstances.  I still have co-workers, managers, and customers, all with their own set of challenges, and that would not change.  But my ability to wrap my mind around those circumstances and personal relationships would definitely be affected by such a planned contact with God.  I could pray more specifically for needs that come up in my life and theirs, I could gain revival to finish the day well.  I could get that additional push to mentally reframe my day, overcome the stress I may have gained from a crazy drive into work, and deal more effectively with silly customer issues.

There is really no end to the possible effects of such contact.  Such a change would be difficult to keep private, so others would most likely know something was up.  Such a change would eat up time I use for my break (and bathroom runs), so might cost me in tangible ways.  Such a change might have other effects I have yet to imagine, and many I couldn't imagine or even notice enough to make a connection. 

I will do it.  I will strategically place in my day another time of peace with God.  I'm not sure how or when, and since I am not necessarily good at strategy, I may need to adjust my initial choice.  I will need to make notes, enter it into my schedule and set an alarm, both to start and to quit (I have a limited time I can be away from my desk for this).  This tactical stuff I can handle.  It's the follow through and maintenance with which I will have difficulty.  I will have to reframe this activity as a way to make myself more available to God, rather than something in and of itself that would make me more holy.  That is the nature of spiritual disciplines, and that is what this must be.

2 comments:

  1. Great thoughts Matt. I love to hear you wrestling with where you are spiritually and what you can do to get where you know God wants you to be. Ultimately, it is a work of the Spirit, but He wants us to play a vital and vibrant part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right about connecting with the Lord "again" in your day. Living in the Spirit is a challenge, we move through out our day sometimes never thinking about the truths we have learned from quiet times or Bible studies or just those precious revelations He gives us, (when we listen completely!) I do like planning ahead, making specific appointments, etc. just to get into the discipline. But when it becomes routine and lifeless, I tend to wander away. We are strange creatures!

    ReplyDelete