Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Trading Peace for Panic, and then Back Again

One of the things that drew me to the church I attend is that the experience of the formation of this congregation is a lot like the process I went through with my family coming out here.  So, there is a similar attitude and perspective.  I look back and see the steps (although I sometimes forget the order they came), and I’m reminded that I was brought here.  All along the way, I have been amazed at how my Master met all the needs I was concerned about, and sometimes worried about.  At times I tried to make something happen and it just refused to materialize.  I had to wait for my Master to connect the dots.

I remember the difference in feelings when I tried to accomplish something, and when my Master had to make it happen.  When I worked at it, I was stressed.  When I quit trying to make it happen, there was peace, and my Master met the need.  This happened over and over.  What is still amazing to me is that I continue to try to make things happen.  After such a dramatic lesson, I would think it would be obvious that what I can do doesn’t amount to enough to warrant the stress it causes.  I guess it’s learning to differentiate between obedience and busyness; that is really my problem.  I still want to do something, which springs from a core problem.

I know that feeling, that feeling of wanting to accomplish something.  It usually comes when I start to believe that everyone around me is better than me; has better skills, knows more, whatever.  Instead of replying with an obvious, “well, duh” I try to demonstrate my own knowledge and skills.  To quote my daughter, “FAIL!”  It is not about me!  It is not about “them” and me, “them” compared to me, or even “them”!  What is so difficult about that lesson?  Well, I am.  The capital “I” continues to live, breathe, and have too much influence.  My focus needs to be on my Master.

In this season, focus on my Master should be easy.  This is the season celebrating the coming of the Prince of Peace.  In church tradition, both the Advent of the divine Child, and the return of the Lord of heavens armies are both celebrated.  This and Easter are my favorite holidays.  I have decorated my yard with that as my focus.  My house has more manger scenes than any other decoration (my daughter collects them).  This should be a time of intense focus on Jesus.  Yet, here I feel most inadequate, and I don’t know why.  The year is closing?  The future is rushing at me?  Perhaps cold short days are affecting me?  I don’t really know why.

It’s true for lots of people, testified by the increase in suicides and so on.  But why it would be true for me is not easily accessible to me.  Such peace I cannot comprehend is available to me in this season, and I sulk in self-pity and fear.  That’s crazy; especially since I know it’s crazy!  Hello!  I am here because I was brought.  I am where my Master clearly wants me.  I must let my fear of others fall away, let the drone of other voices fade into a hum, and embrace the warmth of my Master’s presence.  And then I must do it again, and again, and again.  And then I’ll do it some more.

For my Master loved His human creatures so much that He wrapped His Son in humanity and entered our history as a baby.  He did this so that any of His human creatures who believe in Him will not be wiped from creation, but live eternally in His presence.  This is the truth wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.  And just as there was no room in the Inn two millennia ago, there so often is no room in human hearts today.  With such truth in my mind, I feel it enter my heart, and I tremble.  Why then would I let anything distract me from such beauty?  Not today.  Today, this minute, hopefully this hour, is my Master’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment