Friday, December 2, 2011

The Pursuit of my Master’s Grasp on me


In Philippians 3, Paul writes of leaving off those things he once thought so important and instead pursuing, trying to grasp what has been used by Jesus to grasp him.   It is a grand race that he is in the midst of as he writes.  It is a pursuit where the end is somehow attaining the resurrection from the dead.  The end is standing before the throne of the King of the universe.  And this pursuit for Paul is one of knowing Jesus, identifying with both His life and His death in order to also identify with His resurrection.  The piece that prevents this from being “works salvation” is that throughout, Jesus has grasped him and is pulling and calling him into it.

This chapter holds a very personal look at Paul’s perspective of his life with his Master.  Paul sees that he at once pulled and grasped by Christ Jesus, and at the same time striving with all that is in him to reach up into that relationship as well.  It would go without saying that all the striving of Paul could not hope to equal the exertion of Christ on his behalf, so Paul is not saved by his own striving, but he strives as if he is.  This had to look really strange to those around him.  He would seem fanatical in his pursuit of service and knowledge of Jesus.  It would only be in talking to him that it would become obvious he was in the mighty grip of God.

Where is my striving and devotion compared to Paul’s?  How is it that I can have this same fanatical pursuit mindset in me?  Is the aim of my life that I might know Him, and fellowship of His sufferings, becoming conformed to His death, so that I might somehow attain to the resurrection from the dead?  Do I forget those things once precious to me so that I can pursue, seeking to grasp that with which my Master has grasped me; the upward call of Jesus?  Is there still an idol in my life, or are there idols still in my heart?  Am I willing to jettison everything for this pursuit?  Is the goal of my life to know Him?

I think I’m moving that way.  I see changes in me from last year that indicate that I am developing more of this attitude.  But I also see some persistent sinful attitudes and thought patterns that I have not been able to shake off.  In Twelve-step programs, there are these two steps that often get forgotten, 6 and 7.  In step 6 I become ready to have God remove these defects of character.  In step 7, I humbly ask God to remove these defects of character.  This is a revolving process where, as defects are brought to the surface, I strive to cut loose my desire and dependency on them.  Then I ask for my Master to remove them.  This is not instant.

I am becoming ready to have my Master remove more of my defects.  I will begin asking Him to remove them once I turn that corner (I keep going back and forth on my determination).  And the process of Him removing them will not likely be instant.  Nothing else about this aspect of my life has been instant; no sense starting now.  I also know that the process of removal will include replacement.  For instance I will see objectification of other people replaced with reliance on Jesus for my sense of security; replacing the underlying problem of my own illusion of control playing out in objectifying (and therefore controlling) others. 

That I might know Him; and this is eternal life: that I might know the Father and the Son whom He sent; how badly do I want to live? 

No comments:

Post a Comment