Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Passage of Death to Life on Earth


When Jesus is in Caesarea Philippi, He asks the disciples who they believe Him to be, and Peter declares that Jesus is the Messiah.  Then, when Jesus tells them of His coming death and resurrection, Peter rebukes Jesus.  Jesus’ answer back to Peter we know for it is stronger than we expect, “Get behind me Satan!”  And juxtaposed with his recent declaration the rebuke of Peter is shocking, in fact, so shocking, another very familiar statement of Jesus is normally left out here and taken later on its own.

Jesus speaks of the cost of discipleship by telling them that, “if anyone would come after Me, let him deny himself, take up his cross, and follow Me.”  Not only is Peter wrong about Jesus, but he is wrong about following this Messiah he has just confessed.  The statement is part of the left hook following the hard right to Peter’s chin.  Jesus is losing His life, and the disciples are to follow along after Him.  This is one of those statements of Jesus that take a lot of the fun out of being the famous “Twelve” of Jesus. 

It’s the same today for me.  Sure I like being thought of as a disciple of Jesus.  I’m not sure I like the whole “deny yourself and pick up your cross…” part so much.  I know that “my cross” is not so much stuff I don’t like, as much as it is not having stuff I do.  But it’s more than that.   A cross is a means of execution, not decoration.  To take up my cross is to embrace my own execution.  I think, like Chambers, that the application for me is more of a denial of my natural tendencies toward self-centered living.  But I’m not saying that it does not exclude actual execution.  Right now, execution for my belief isn’t so immanent…right now.

What is immanent is the living breathing self-centered Matt.  The Matt who is entitled to stuff, who believes that he has earned blessings, who behaves as if everyone should both understand and agree with him, this is the Matt who must die on his cross.  For those reasons, and a hundred others, the Matt-centered universe must self-destruct (it’s small, no one will really miss it).  What I really don’t like is the carrying-by-choice method involved.  I would rather be killed outright rather than drag this painful event out, and through my own participation too.  Death by cross is humiliating, so my “reputation” goes in the incinerator as well.  Such fun.

Paul did it, Peter finally did it (once he had the Holy Spirit), Stephen, and a bunch of them who endured prison, torture, and other oppression for their Master.  They did it in very obvious public ways.  I have to do it in more interior yet still public ways.   And I really mean I must.  I have to because I am following Jesus.  It’s just that I look more like the ever-distracted hound, rarely on the path, usually sniffing and marking trees to either side.  I sort of follow rather than heel as I should.  I must die to my entitlements, my claim to anything about or for myself.  I must become the set dressing on the stage of life, and let my Master emerge center.

Death to Matty! Viva la Christos!

No comments:

Post a Comment