Monday, December 12, 2011

Joining with my Fellow Believers as Jesus Is Joined to the Father?


I never ever pretend to understand the Trinitarian nature of my Master.  There’s really no point because it would take even my daughter a few well-placed questions to reveal that I really don’t understand.  I can’t.  In fact, at the risk of being considered a heretic, I have said before that I believe it’s possible that I might find my Master to have more than three Persons when I arrive in Heaven.  But I can say with complete confidence that He has revealed Himself in Scripture, both Hebrew and Christian, as being Three in One.  That much I do know.  How it’s possible or how to explain it, not a chance.

So, when I get to Jesus’ prayer in John 17, I may be unsettled with its references to being one just as Jesus and the Father are One, but I just chalk it up to one more thing I don’t understand about the Trinity.  But I really want to understand this because I suspect it’s really important.  For instance, in verse 22, which Chambers uses this morning, Jesus prays, “And I have given the glory which You gave Me to them, so that they might be one just as We are One;”  Now, the problem I have here is me being one with anyone in the same way as Jesus and the Father are One.  It sounds like one characteristic of the Trinity I can share with another believer.

I think I have an answer, but I will not pretend to have the answer.  The clue I rely on here is the Person missing from this prayer, but present in the previous 3 chapters, the Paraclete, the Spirit of Truth, the Holy Spirit.  I suspect that any possibility for “oneness” is tied completely to the presence of the Spirit of my Master living in me, and in the other person I become one with.  I suspect this to be true from things Paul has said in some letters of his:  having one Spirit, keep the unity of the Spirit, and so on.  I infer from this chapter the key to divine Oneness is the Third Person, the Holy Spirit.  The term Jesus uses is “glory”, hence my problem.

The odd thing, or difficult thing, for me is considering me as having this potential which my Master actually displays.  While I believe that there is an image of my Master imprinted on me as a human being, I find it difficult to wrap my mind around being one with another person as part of that image-stamp.  I just find thinking of the Trinitarian nature of my Master as being something accessible to people like me really weird or somehow sacrilegious.  It feels like I make this unimaginable indescribable nature of my Master more common or mundane.  It just feels wrong.  But from the Gospel of John, it seems it’s right, weird as it might feel.

So, I’m left with some requirement to connect, if possible, the glory of my Master with His Spirit.  It doesn’t sound difficult on the surface, both being God, they would naturally have the same glory.  But I suppose part of my problem is that I don’t know that I really know how to define the Glory of God.  I would hazard to define it as something which brings praise and honor to God without demeaning His character or nature in any way.  So, I suppose that He could be His own glory in a sense, and therefore His Spirit would also be.  But that sounds overly simple, and I am not confident that’s what Jesus had in mind as He prayed.

Jesus says that the glory given to Him by the Father He gave to them (not the disciples, but the ones believing their testimony, so really, “us”) so that they might be one just as He and the Father are One.  How did Jesus give the disciples and those following them His glory?  The only connection supports my interpretation is that what has been given drives me to praise my Master.  That would be my connection to my Master and that would be the His Spirit.  So, in that sense at least, I believe I can connect the dots supporting this possible interpretation.  So when does this happen?  I believe the modern term we use is “church”.  Oddly and sadly, being one is not a descriptor I would normally use for church in general.  I suspect it depends on the church.

Even the church I’m currently a part of has issues.  The issues don’t seem anywhere near as bad as the issues in other churches I have been part of, but there are some.  But one thing that seems to be the case is that this church is one in worship.  It is just my sense of the experience, but it seems as if the congregation is one in praise to our Master at that point in time.  A lot of that has to do with our great song leader and our pastor, but I believe that even more it has to do with the freedom we give the Spirit of God in our worship.  It’s not forced, I don’t feel uncomfortable nor do I feel bored (I can’t imagine anyone being bored in our worship).

Today I will attempt to keep in my day the glory of my Master I experienced in worship yesterday.  I will seek to apply the wonderfully harsh scrubbing of my pastor to my day, hear again the beautiful and powerful songs we sang together, and keep the conscious awareness of my Master as I work the phones.  I will try to keep the unity of the Spirit of my Master experienced on Sunday throughout the week.  Even writing this, I miss being with them already.  That’s different.  I think I like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment