Sunday, December 4, 2011

Lessons from the Last Book, the one I usually avoid


Revelation is one of those books that I do not try to spend much time in.  That’s not good for me, but it’s so controversial that I don’t like the fight over what will happen in the end.  Part of my issue is that my view of the “Great Tribulation” is that we’re all going through it.  Not necessarily now, but the way I read Scripture, believers will be in the Tribulation period.  Any sense that we escape it I believe isn’t supported in Scripture.  On the other hand, it would be really cool if we did.  So, I think as if I’m staying here through it, and either way, my faith is grounded.

I didn’t get to that position from the logical process of what would keep my faith.  I got the understanding of the end that I have because other ones are simply too complex to have the feel of my Master on them.  It doesn’t match with a lot of the other stuff He has revealed in Scripture.  The other reason is that the historical context in which much of the writing occurred which is used to support various views seems to have been on the cusp of great persecution of the Early Church.  There were waves of these throughout the first 200 years of its life, and these waves were brutal.  In some sense they were not as insidious as Islamic persecution of believers today, but they were definitely brutal in their day.

Two things result from this historical context.  The first is that open discussion of the oppressive powers was dangerous, so allusion to them was used instead.  Using Babylon as a reference for the powers in Rome replaced a term for them with their enemy.  Romans would have thought the writings were patriotic, not written against them.  The second is that much of the writing is “Apocalyptic” which means that while it does refer to the end of the world, symbolic language was heavily used throughout.  Disentangling the symbols takes a lot of historical research few are willing to do (I haven’t been, which is why this is a reason I don’t).

One of the important elements to The Revelation of John is the first few chapters where he continually uses the phrase, “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”  This was written as a record of a message to various churches, and these congregations were located in one region, not all over the world of Rome.  I think it’s full of very important lessons, particularly brilliant word pictures, and very convicting about things I have become comfortable with.  But I do not want to forget the original audience.  I want to join them in the seats as this was read to them.  I want to hear it from their perspective first.

Another recurring phrase is, “To him who prevails I will give…” and what is given changes depending upon the particular problem that church faces.  To the one who prevails or overcomes, or to the one fighting all the way to the end, my Master will give something that is worth the fight.  That phrase sometimes follows the previous one but always shows up tied to it.  So, one important lesson clear from the beginning of this book is that my life is a fight to the finish.  I am to fight until I die.  I confess I like R&R and fighting without a break does not sound appealing.  That has been a lot of my problem I suspect.

The rewards for me if I fight to the finish are worth the fight.  The appeal of what I see here picks at my faith, but keeping the end in sight, the prize my Master has for me, will help me continue fighting.  It is tiring work when I look at my progress or what I have accomplished.  Instead I need to look at my Master and what He accomplishes through me, with me, and around me.  Again, it’s not about me, but my Master.  It’s me fighting with Him in His war, not about Him helping me in mine.  My war fades into insignificance as I get caught up in His.  Pride and a desire to be center-stage hinder me from focus on His war.

But the rewards make the striving worth it.  To see His face, stand before His throne, and finally know His love end to end; those are gifts worth the focus of my life.  This menial striving I do for this or that in this life gains me little.  Holiness and peace result as I strive for Him in His war for His people.  I want to know Him, and for that I push daily through the competing thoughts and ideas set up against that knowledge.  I know that, but it’s hard to focus on that.  I like my current comfort, my soft bed, tech toys, and reclining couch.  Well, it’s time to get off the couch, and get back into the fray.  See you in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment