Saturday, December 10, 2011

Letting my Master Decide About my Favorite Stuff Is Tough


This morning’s entry reminded me of something I had forgotten or had not applied as widely as I should have.  God takes care of those things I sacrifice to Him.  Those things that are unfit for His service are destroyed, and those things that are He transforms, making them holy.  So, even the good that is of me that I must sacrifice to my Master is transformed into something better.  Some of that good goes away, to be replaced by something better.  In Galatians 4:22 Paul uses the account of Sarah and Haggar to differentiate between the two natures of God’s people.

An element of this account not stated but rather implied in its use is that Ishmael was still kept and blessed by God.  So, while Abraham cast Haggar and Ishmael out in obedience to God, God still provided for Haggar and Ismael in the desert.  I hadn’t thought about that part.  I get so worried about giving stuff up, like my Master can’t take care of something precious to me.  If what I give to Him is useful to the purpose He has for me then He will transform it so that it will be from and about Him, rather than from and about me.  That’s what I really need. 

So, playing computer games, blogging, my preoccupation with my family, church, ministry, and all the other things I wonder about can be surrendered to my Master without fear.  Those things He wants for me (like my family) He will transform into something that glorifies Him (like making me a godly husband and father).  What I need to accept is that this transformation only happens as I surrender these things to Him.  I can’t hang on to them and expect Him to bless them.

I suppose that this means I have to let go of my returning customers.  I have to be willing to accept from my Master whatever He decides to bring me rather than what I can earn (and therefore control) through my own effort.  That’s not something I want to give up.  But, here again, I see that I must.  It must become enough that I glorify my Master in my work rather than seek my own glory.  Ironically, I despise the grandiose attitudes in other sales people, but seem willing to accept it to a lesser degree in myself.  Oh, hypocrite, thy name is Matt.  Hey, Who put this mirror here?  Is that what I really look like?  Bad-hair day, or time for a paradigm shift?

No comments:

Post a Comment