Friday, December 9, 2011

The Death of the Good So the Best May Live


I am going through a personal crisis right now in my job.  I have been told that we now have a rule that says that anyone just by leaving a message for a customer “owns” that account for 2 weeks.  That means that the customers I have worked for the last five years to develop, if they do call me back direct due to the level of service I provide, yet anyone has left a message for them, the message-leaver gets credit for the sale instead of me.  I was told that this won’t really affect my sales much.  Yesterday I lost $4k to it (which is a great sales amount for one day in my line).  It focuses on an area I am weak (smile-and-dial) and devalues an area I am strong (customer relations).

I am so angry about this that I’m completely distracted.  It’s consuming me right now, and as I think it through, I am feeling several emotions for a variety of reasons.  I feel fear because 26% of my sales came from these call backs, and I would not be near my goal, in fact I would fail without it.  I feel anger because I feel as if I have been cheated, like this isn’t fair, but also because I feel entitled to those customers.  When it comes right down to it, it is the entitlement thing that really gets me going.  I don’t agree with the rule on philosophical grounds, I think it undermines any focus on the customer, product knowledge, and sales skills; just dial and leave messages.

Here’s the problem I war with right now.  I am not entitled to anything.  I have said over and over that my Master has blessed me with sales this year.  Now it is time to put up or shut up about that.  If it’s true, then what I’m struggling with right now is my right to myself.  I am fighting within to reframe my perspective of these sales, and I’m losing at the moment.  This is where my “flesh” and “passions” are still strong and alive, and must be crucified (Galatians 5:24).  I don’t want to give them up, it feels right to let them live.  But I am self-righteous, self-justified, and champion a cause apart from my Master.  I must die, and so must these desires.

The justice of this rule is not my fight.  I’ve made my case, and I’ve been told I have to take it.  Now the fight belongs to my Master, and I have to accept that He may decide to use it to draw me closer to Him rather than vindicate my position.  I hate that and struggle against it, but it must form the vortex I cannot escape from.  I must succumb, because my life depends upon my demise.  This sense of entitlement and self-righteousness must die, specifically, I must crucify them.  It is my responsibility to kill them.  I can’t just back away and let them die of inattention.  I must nail them, piece by piece, strike by strike, to the cross of Jesus.

I’m not done whining yet.  I feel it even now surging up in me, justifying myself in my own eyes, imagining conversations I know will never happen.  I feel the emotion coursing through me, and I can’t sit still, I can barely focus on writing.  But I know what I must do, and I know I must do it as soon as possible.  “I am not entitled to these sales” is now my new chant.  This must become my current spiritual discipline.  Chambers makes a very good but difficult point this morning.  He says, “It is the good that hates the best, and the higher up you get in the scale of the natural virtues, the more intense is the opposition to Jesus Christ.”  It feels so wrong, yet I know is the best thing for me.  Pardon me while, I begin mumbling my chant.  I have to go to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment