Tuesday, December 6, 2011

God's Covenant Love and Adrenaline


In Genesis 6 through 9, the account of God destroying all life on earth with a flood is chilling.  Noah and his family are saved, and immediately afterwards, the family breaks up.  Ham and Canaan are cursed and it is as if the garden and tree thing has happened all over again.  I suppose it is just telling evidence that it never went very far anyway.  Then the Tower of Babel, the Table of Nations, and then war for the rest of human history sum up the remainder of time from then until now.  Oh, I forgot, and God saved the world through His Son, Jesus.  At least that is how it seems sometimes.  But it’s not.

There is a difference in this world and in human history because the Creator of humans has not left us alone.  For reasons that are all His own, I see record after record of one covenant after another with this rebellious cantankerous rabble He created, wiped clean, and started again.  I call the reason I don’t really understand, love.  He loves me (us really).  But that word has to be defined for me by what He has done.  Love is now thousands of years of patience with the crazies crawling on the earth.  Love is continually engaging ones in conversation, covenants, giving laws, and finally invading their paradigm, allowing Himself to be killed.

So, I don’t really fully understand love; only to the degree that I see my Master’s work.  And I suppose the question posed by Chambers this morning is, do I believe that and abide by that final covenant?  It better be yes, but is it?  I am still so wrapped up in me that I wonder.  Honestly it’s not like I expect my Master to do more than He has done.  It honestly has to do with my knowledge of His love having no bounds.  I know He forgives me.  I am ashamed to say it, but I know I can get away with my sinful things because I know the One who sees me also forgives me.  It is as if I have said with my life that sin should abound all the more.

The wrong I do is not unconscious.  Sometimes it is habitual, but that never lasts.  The stuff that lasts or in which I continually participate are things I know are wrong.  Being a bully to my daughter instead of lovingly correcting her is not something I do because I think it’s the way a parent is supposed to be.  I do it for the same reason bullies have always done that:  I feel powerful and less afraid when I exert control over others.  It’s stupid and devoid of surrender to my Master.  When I am irresponsible, when I am…wow, this is depressing.  Anyway, I’m sinful and it has to do with me breaking a covenant with my Master.

The answer is being faithful to my Master.  It really comes down to tipping the emphasis of my time and life toward Him.  Lately it has been toward games.  That’s not working for me.  I just ejected the disc that has been in my drive for weeks now, and put it away.  It’s not an evil game per se, but it has been consuming me.  It’s intense, and while that’s not wrong, it’s something appealing and easy for me to obsess over.  I crave the adrenaline.  And it’s safe; I get the adrenaline rush without jumping off a bridge with rubber bands attached to my ankles.  I don’t have to base-jump; I can focus on a computer screen.  I see it has become bad for me.

If my brother wants to play, then I can for social reasons.  I have been telling myself I’m practicing.  I was for a while, but I’ve practiced.  There are things around here I need to do, laundry, shopping for my wife (did I mention Christmas is coming?), and so on.  I’m not running short of things to occupy my time.  I have blog entries I’m stacking up for after December 15.  I’ve got stuff to do, so I won’t be bored.  It all lacks the adrenaline though, the intensity.  So I know that it will be difficult for a while, but peace seems at odds with adrenaline.  Let’s see how I do with peace for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment