Monday, December 5, 2011

Holiness by Association


This is one of those entries, where I wonder how the verse ever became associated with the entry substance.  It has the most oblique application in the person of Joseph.  The verse is Genesis 41:40 where the Pharaoh of Egypt gives Joseph control of the land to prepare for the coming famine.  If it were not for Joseph, I’m not sure how this verse would apply at all.  Joseph does demonstrate a very interested and elevated example of the life Chambers writes of.  Even though Chambers is referring to living as a Temple of the Holy Spirit, Joseph lives his life in much the same way Chambers describes.

While it’s possible that Joseph represents one of those people in the Hebrew Scriptures who has the Holy Spirit, it does not specifically refer to him that way.  It’s really clear in the account that God is with him growing up and in Egypt, but that reference used with the judges, prophets and kings is missing.  Joseph may have been one who kept himself pure without the benefit I have of the Holy Spirit.  He was upright in all he did, demonstrated integrity in his dealings, and God gave him success everywhere he turned.

Chambers says that living a holy life is possible for me.  I really didn’t want to read that, but I suspect he is right, at least to a large degree.  I do have the responsibility to live this life being holy to my Master.  I have to accept that my Master wouldn’t command it if it weren’t within my power, limited as it is.  My suspicion is that with this, as will so many other areas of obedience, requires focus on Him rather focus on my actions.  I suspect that my holy behavior will fall in line with my Master naturally by my association with Him.  At least, all advances to this point in this area have worked that way.

It’s when I get caught up in what I’m doing and the environment I do it in rather than before Whom I do it that the problems come.  I do everything in plain view of my Master.  It is in His presence that I live and breathe and have my being.  So, living like that, practicing that in the mundane elements of my life, and not worrying about one misstep.  The environment is not an excuse for me to step out of holiness.  It’s never that bad that my Master is no longer Master over that too.  Those around me need the holiness of my Master more than I need their approval. 

So, I agree with Chambers here.  I don’t want to, partly because I have said for years that I’m powerless, taking that as an excuse to live without power.  But I do believe in One powerful enough to overcome my insanity.  And I do believe that when I commit my will to Him, holiness follows.  I can’t use powerlessness as an excuse, that’s part of my environment.  But devotion and submission to my Master overcomes my environment, including my nature.  I am without excuses, my Master is present with me, and I have all that is necessary for holiness.

This week I have another opportunity to prove what my Master can do.  My wife will be travelling, and the loneliness will be my constant companion again.  Thankfully, once my daughter comes home, she will be a comfort to me, and she really is.  It is during the busy day and later in the evening that I will need to seek my Master.  These will be times to practice His presence in the daily routine and in the normality of my life.  This has been something I have experienced more and more this past year.  I suspect my pastor would be happy to know I was listening yesterday.  This is exactly what he preached on, and he did so really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment