Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A Little Christmas Repentance








It is December 7, Pearl Harbor Day, and today I examine repentance.  It’s really easy at this day to remember the terrible thing done to my country on that day.  But that produces nothing helpful in me.  It is better to see the amazing things my Master has brought about out of that tragedy.  It’s possible that if the Japanese had not destroyed the battleships in that harbor, the United States may not have won the war of the Pacific.  But other good came out of it.  This country finally galvanized around our leaders and the again entered into the world to influence it with our character (which was better then).

That’s not very specific, and I wish I had specific stories, but even those would overshadow the point.  Changing my mind about how I see this day is what repentance is about.  The difference is my view of my life apart from my Master.  Sin is my actions, attitudes, and thoughts I pursue away from my Master or outside of my relationship with Him.  They could be “good” as actions, thoughts, or attitudes, but apart from my Master they are sin.  If I can experience that change of mind, change of paradigm to see these things as sin, then I begin to repent.  My actions, attitudes, and thoughts do change, but as a result of repentance.

I have referred to the 12 Steps of AA as a spiritual discipline of repentance.  The program is designed to change my mind about my behaviors, my thoughts, and my attitudes toward my compulsion.  All three need to change.  The program is really effective at helping me accomplish this partly because it is so intertwined with submission and obedience to my Master.  The problem with living my life my way is that my way sucks.  I have proven over and over that I can’t handle even the mundane elements of my life.  But my stubborn self is at odds with surrender to any other way.

Repentance is where I turn from myself and towards my Master.  Last night I put on my new comfy headphones, and listened to a whole bunch of Christmas music as I drifted off to sleep.  It was beautiful and peaceful, but it also brought me to tears.  I was awash in thoughts that my Master invaded the cosmos He created in the most tender and vulnerable ways; the same way we all enter life.  I was immersed in thoughts that my Master would condescend to such an existence for me and my fellow rebels.  I was sorry for all I contributed to that requirement on Him.  Yet the whole experience was peaceful and happy.

In 2 Corinthians 7:10, Paul says that the physical suffering from God leads to repentance without remorse.  The result does not end in remorse, which Chambers seems to forget.  He goes on and on about remorse being the normal response to the rare experience of repentance.  When the people of Israel heard again the word of the Law read before them by Ezra and his scribes, they lamented all they had done to bring the judgment of God on their nation.  The priests and scribes said, “Don’t weep; the joy of Yahweh is your strength!”  The words were supposed to bring them into a right relationship with Yahweh, not leave them weeping outside.

So, yes, I wept last night listening to Christmas music.  That’s a normal response for me this time of year.  But I don’t experience as much sadness as joy at what was done; what I celebrate in this season.  The birth of Jesus forms the center around which I celebrate Christmas; and the renewal He brings, the hope I have because of His birth, and the promise of life I have through Him mean I celebrate with joy.  I weep, but I weep tears of joy, of amazement, of thankfulness, and love for my Master.  I will every time I enter again into the stable and kneel at the feed trough holding the Creator of the universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment