Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Yoke's On... Me?

Today should my last entry using my phone for a while. The move is complete and we are apartment dwellers for a time. In this next stage, we transition to another state to care for some aging family. We hope to be there by July, but truly only my Master really knows.

Speaking of my Master, the One leading my family on this journey of stages, I find today His timing is ironic. Today Chambers uses the reference I mentioned yesterday about sharing the yoke of Jesus. The reference Chambers uses is in Matthew 11:29. Jesus calls the weak and weary to come to Him for rest, because His yoke is easy and His burden light.

It's only my Master Who could call the weak and weary to share a yoke in order to receive rest for the soul. Sure, the burden is light, the yoke is easy...for Him! But how will it feel to the weak and weary humanity? I have no worries that it will seem to be non-existent. I know it will seem that way. With the Creator of the universe, Maker of matter, pulling alongside, how can it be otherwise? What sort of weight would I feel next to His power and might?

I think of the image of a small dog working furiously to pull a sled, feet dangling off the ground, as the lead Husky pulls the weight of the sled easily along. That small dog sees the progress and is excited at his success, but also impatient he can't speed it up. The illusion of control and ability is possible when unequally yoked with my Master. But the reality sets in soon enough. I am enjoying a sense of that reality now. The house is empty and the work to clear it is done. My wife worked, my friends worked, and my burden seemed light (although my muscles are sore). It was the might of my Master that achieved the result, and the people He worked through were extensions of His might.

The burden of my Master pulled along by our shared yoke (actually His yoke I am invited to share) may include the weight of the world, but One making the very stars and the worlds revolving around them, pulls along with me. I can move through the cares and needs and not be crushed because I do not move alone. I can face economic and ecological disaster with assurance that my Master pulls the massive weight of it. I am free to engage without being overwhelmed. The need on my part is to engage, without fear, in the needs of this world. I will begin this day by engaging the needs around me in prayer, then in person. Pardon me while I strap on the yoke and get busy. My Master calls.

Oswald Chambers' "My Utmost For His Highest": April 14th.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

No comments:

Post a Comment