Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Whose Life Is It Anyway?

This one of those entries whre I see what Chambers is getting at, but not some of the details. I believe the context of.the passage in Romans 6:9-11 refers to the life of Jesus after His resurrection. Chambers is making his point based on the position that the life of Jesus to which Paul referred is the life He lived throughout His time before the crucifixion. The conclusion he draws is that we have the same sort of life available to us because of the Holy Spirit living within. The point he makes I agree with, his use of this.passage I do not.

I belive that Paul is making a point that it is the resurrected life of Jesus which enables us to live free from sin. The Holy Spirit could not come unless Jesus left. I don't pretend to really understand the "why" of that, but there was a quality of life that was to change in the believers once it happened. The power of the resurrection of Jesus courses.through me because of the resurrection of Jesus. I agree with Chambers that this power is not available to me, but rather I am available to Him.

The wonder of this.truth is not in whether it is based on the resurrection of Jesus or not. The real wonder for me is in that I can enjoy it at all. Yes, He frees me from slavery to sin as I submit to His power within me, but in this submission I touch the very Creator of the universe, and He wants me to! The wonder for me is that I am loved by God! My mind is blown that He has my back (why would He care?)! My heart is broken because I am at His service (why would He use one like me?). Who is this God that takes people of such weakness as me and and uses them for His glory? I consider myself somewhat of an embarassment to Him and yet He continues to use me. I have to continually reach out to Him because my sin is so close at hand, at work, in transit, at home, wherever. Without His presence in my life I would be a wreck. Yet He delights in my dependence because His power is displayed. I become a sign post of freedom for others. I prove that God accepts people and changes them, even stubborn rebellious ones. What a strange Creator and King I serve. What will He have me do today?

Oswald Chambers' "My Utmost For His Highest": April 12th.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

No comments:

Post a Comment